issues running GC

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
this oil is amazing, however in my car I have noticed that at idle I am getting a decent amount of rattle from the head.

so my question for the wiser (JDub etc.) is what oil should I run to minimize this? [I'm pretty sure its not the heat, rather just out of spec.]

I have been considering a redline product, 0w-40 or 5w-40.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Are the valves set correctly, clearance wise?

Have you checked the cam journals for correct clearance as well?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
jdub;1281279 said:
Are the valves set correctly, clearance wise?

Have you checked the cam journals for correct clearance as well?

I haven't taken the valve covers off just yet, but by judging the noise the valves are out of spec.. though a few people said thicker oil could help, to be honest though if there's still noise even with GC I imagine they need to be re-adjusted.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Keep in mind GC is thick for a 30W at ops temp. A thicker oil may help some, but the real solution is to correctly set valve lash. I would definitely check cam journal clearance too.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
jdub;1281328 said:
Keep in mind GC is thick for a 30W at ops temp. A thicker oil may help some, but the real solution is to correctly set valve lash. I would definitely check cam journal clearance too.

will do, I appreciate the advice jdub.. plus afterwards I can continue to use GC.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I say GC for President in 4 years. Its certainly popular around here. JDub why don't you shoot a line to Castrol, you probably made more people buy GC then Castrol them selves ever did. They certainly owe you some money.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...it is an excellent oil.
If I ever took $$$ from Castrol, then I'd no longer be able to be unbiased...make no mistake, if I ever come across an oil that is better for $$$ spent, I'll change in a heartbeat.

JetJock is the guy who got me running GC...he's been running it in his Supra for years. There's a good reason for that ;)