IS this a rod knock????? (video inside)

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
Ok guys. I have what I believe is the dreaded rod knock. I have watched other member’s videos posted with their rod knocks and my sound is very similar to theirs.

I am not the greatest engine expert, but a rod knock is from the lower end of the car yet the sound is (well at least to me) coming from the head section. I could be wrong. I remember reading about how the connecting end of the rod to the piston could have snapped / broke and is causing the piston to move and score against the cylinder wall and could smack my cams (again if this is rubbish forgive me), but I digress.

The car starts up fine. At most it whines ( re re re re – then starts). I don’t drive her only to reverse out of my parking spot and in to another one if need be.

You will need apple’s quick time to watch the video. Oh my battery died on me (left my interior light on , I know stupid me) so I gave it a quick jump but it was not enough for her to start back up. The sound is horrible and breaks my heart to hear her like this. She and I have been through too much for this to be the end. :( (and yes i know my fan shroud is missing, i have the replacement in the trunk)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

http://www.zshare.net/video/152460296238156a/

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
knock knock.

I wouldn't be starting that thing up at all, sounds like you slipped the bearing which can lead to a bad crank if its not already

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Yeah, that sounds like rod knock. A pretty bad one at that! I would pull the motor check your tolerences or have a machine shop do it and put some good bearing in there. (clevittes 77 are nice!)
Good Luck!

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
so it's sounding like a rod knock huh. I always read here that when you get one, you'll know. LMAo. its hard not to hear it.

is there any possibility the damage inside is beyond repair? I have no problem investing to get this motor rebuilt properly, but can a bad rod knock lead to damage thats beyond repair? I suppose i can't find out how extensive the damage is without tearing her down. I know i have seen pictures with 7m's with holes in their block and what not. I just hope i can salvage this motor.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Anything is repairable. Its the cost of the repair that gets everyone. As long as the rod hasnt come out of the block and hasnt stretched itself too far a rebuild isnt too bad. If either has happened then it becomes a little more expensive. However I see used rods come up fairly often from the guys going with aftermarket rods.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
thats some baaaaaad rod knock.....if you wanna fix it, drain the oil and rev to 6k+ rpm.....lol jk.....tear the motor down.....what you have to worry about most is the crank....it might be scratched too deep......hopefully the rods have a little bearing left in them to be taking that blow but get those checked too....make sure the clearances are within spec....also when rebuilding make sure you have a good or preferably new oil pump! good luck!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Before you start tearing down anything, check your crank pulley bolt. Make sure it's tight. A loose one will wobble and hit the crank in such a frequency that it'll sound like that.

But yeah, it sounds like RK.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Another vote for r/k.

Sounds pretty bad. IIRC, one way to find out if it is r/k, you can pull the plug wires one at a time and see which one makes it stop. If none of the plug wires being pulled makes it stop, it's not rod knock. :dunno:

I'd just pull that motor though, it sounds like bad rod knock and running the car any more than needed might put a rod through the block or just ruin the crank.

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
"might put a rod through the block or just ruin the crank."

What if it already did? would the car still start and idle? any way of knowing without tearing her down?

Thanks guys for the input.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CzA;1077346 said:

What if it already did? would the car still start and idle? any way of knowing without tearing her down?

No way of knowing with out tearing it down.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CzA;1077346 said:

I think it's safe to say you have not yet put a rod through the block. :) That'd be a big ole' explosion sound and then metal bits on the ground and oil everywhere and an engine that wouldn't run anywhere near normal.

As for the crank, you won't know until you get it out. But you DO KNOW that running the engine at all at this point puts more and more stress on the crank.

Start tearing into it or get it to someone that will do it for you.