is this a new trick or does everyone know about it (clutch/tranny)

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
figured i'd put the clutch on the input shaft of the tranny to make it easier to get on.
got that thing in there in a matter of 10 minutes. compared to before when we were just spinning our wheels getting no-where.

worked out very nicely. the access holes on the sides of the tranny allow you to see the input shaft go right into the pilot bearing and the you dont even need an alignment tool. you juts slide the clutch up to the flywheel and line it up with the pins and start putting in bolts.

oh yeah and my spec clutch plate with ACT disc works wonderfully. used plate with brand new disc.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's how you're supposed to do it by the TSRM.

It's actually near impossible to do it the "normal" way on an R154 as you run the risk of bending the diaphragm.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
kind of wish i'd known that before i took it off. cause we just yanked it out the "normal" way. hope i didnt hurt anything.

p1665196_1.jpg

heres a courtesy pic of the car after finishing and getting my new bbs's on as well.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
removing it the old fashoned way wont hurt anything. unless you drop it on yourself lol.

im still wondering why the bother including the clutch alignment tool in the clutch kits......

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bioskyline;1665215 said:
removing it the old fashoned way wont hurt anything. unless you drop it on yourself lol.

im still wondering why the bother including the clutch alignment tool in the clutch kits......

Except the release bearing hub stays straight on the input shaft and when you drop the tranny down it will leverage the diaphragm on the pressure plate. If you're replacing it, fine, but if not...

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
oh... good thing that clutch was getting tossed in the garbage then.
i went out and bought an alignment tool for 3 bucks. too bad i didnt know this before-hand.
haha.