Is it worth it?

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
I have a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo. The auto tranny just pretty much took a crap on me. I wanna have a car that is gonna be pretty much reliable which this car has been for over a year until now. I was just wondering peoples honest opinion on to whether I should draw out a loan and have my engine rebuilt with forged internals, my head redone with a metal H/G and all the neccessary hardware. Basically redoing the entire engine. And then having my tranny built to be able to handle the horsepower. Or should I just buy another car as a DD and keep the Supra as a project on the side so I have a reliable DD? I can afford the payments of a loan and I'm gonna have to draw one out anyway to buy another car so I was thinking why not rebuild the Supra? Anyhow just my confusion at the moment.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
sounds like a personal problem that no one here can answer for you.
you don't have to go with forged internals. many people, including myself make good power on stock internals, although mine is rebuilt. as far as the tranny, you can get a rebuild kit or source the parts you would need for a manual swap. pedals, driveshaft, clutch master. etc...
good luck

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I would buy a cheap car for a DD and just keep the supra to as a toy you can work on whenever you want without having to worry about needing a car if it breaks down.
As for rebuilding it with forged internals, it just depends on your power goals.
Check in the thread above this, guy just made 750whp on stock internals.

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
I've had my Supra for many years, luckily it has been very reliable for the most part. I would drive it anywhere in the states right now. I have always had classic car insurance on my Supra though and have lots of other cars for DD's. Supra isn't the best on gas heh and it is $3.95 a gallon now.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Yeah I know its a personal problem. Just wanted opinions. 750whp on stock internals is amazing! Anyhow thanks for the replies guys.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
I'm gonna agree with almost everyone else in this thread and tell you to get a reliable DD, that gets good gas mileage. The Supra was probably killing you with gas prices being so high.

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
Davismj711;1022393 said:
What they said ^^

A Supra in more ways than one is a car worth holding onto. Take your time, do it yourself, and learn along the way. You and your Supra will get real close, believe me ^^

Good Luck !!

get a cheap DD and go 1j .i got my DD mr2 for 4hunder bucks

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
I have a civic as a dd, I use to worry about the supra as a DD all the time....even though it ran so great and smooth, because I was modding it. THE best thing I ever did was buy the civic because 1. its good on gas 2. its reliable 3. I can work on the supra and not worry if its not running and 4. I can drive the supra for FUN and not worry!!!! Thats the best way to experience a supra!

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Get a DD, something cheap to own, reliable, and fun to drive. Best thing you can do when building a car, honestly.

Do -NOT- go into debt rebuilding the supra. Go into debt getting a house, getting a DD, but not on a hobby... that's the ticket down a dark path that you don't want to walk.

Best of luck in what you decide.

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
I think Keros is dead on, don't go in debt over a rebuild on a supra. You have to decide what you need, no one else can tell you. But if something goes wrong in the build, in which things do go wrong no matter how much money you spend. You will have a busted supra and debt just sitting there. Take it from people that have done it, it isn't fun to have major money tided up in a parking space.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
The smartest thing I ever did was put my Supra plans on hold until I was more financially secure. Having a home and a 2-car garage with the Supra on one side (or or jack stands...) and a reliable daily driver on the other is the best thing ever.

Now that I can afford to do work without breaking the bank or being without transportation I am much happier.

edit: then again, America is not full of people who know how to suppress the urge for instant gratification...

Last edited:

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Cool thanks for the responses guys. Looks like i'm gonna get a DD and just throw a used tranny in the supra so I can at least drive it. Thanks Bill.