is i possible to hit fuel cut at 10 pounds boost?

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i have a freshly rebuilt 7m with a stock ct26.

but the motor has alot of the basic bpu mods.

i have full turbo back 3inch exhaust,k&n intake,greddy bov,3inch in and out intercooler with full 2.5 inch piping.my waste gate is shimmed so im at 10lbs of boost. i actually dident shim my wastegate i bought the ct26 like that.

if i dident list it,it is still stock.

with these mods should i be hitting fuel cut?

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
stock boost gauge? looks like youre just above 8 right? with 2 shims i stay under fc, but with that 3rd washer she pulled excellent untill about 5k and cut out. dont know exactly what the boost was (still have the stock gauge) but i think the tsrm manual says 12-14psi

obviously fuel cut isnt a good thing, even for a fresh motor (mine has around 30k on the rebuild with hks 1.2 mhg and arp's) but after the 2nd time i hit fc i was done messing around and took them back out....besides shimming the wg will stretch the spring and weaken it. id just go to home depot and do a manual controller once you fight the fuel cut (my plan for now anyways)

once i get my boost gauge, wideband, safc2 and ic piping ill go with the 57trim and crank it up. honestly i dont know how to get rid of fuel cut, never searched it...but as long as you have some mods like above then id def look into it and turn up the boost!

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
jdub;1459831 said:
No...check for boost leaks.

i hope i dont ge flamed for this but...

what would make boost leaks what should i be checking for??????:1zhelp:

i can tell you that the place where the turbo elbow and down pipe meet dosent have a gasket doest that count as a boost leak.or is boost leak something to do with vacume lines??

my boost gauge reads a steady 22 at idle is that normal??

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Fuel cut at 10 psi is not uncommon, I was hitting it slightly above 10 psi. Many factors other then boost are used to reach the threshold of fuel cut.

Boost leaks are anywhere from compressor housing to throttle body, or anything in the intake tract like vacuum lines.

Before modding your car any further, research this forum in as complete entirety as possible. If you blindly modify this car, it most likely wont be tolerated for very long.

suprajz20: Fuel cut is a good thing, without it the amount of blown engines would quadruple. Fuel cut cannot be eliminated as long as the stock TCCS (ECU) is being used. Its a safety feature (a very good one) that will save your motor if you have a wastegate malfunction.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Fuel cut is determined by one thing and one thing only - the volume of air sensed by the AFM. That volume is affected by air density - a colder OAT will cause it to occur earlier. If you have a leak in any of your IC piping, the volume passing the AFM will be more than the motor is using. Thus you will hit fuel cut early.

Vac reading guide:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/TechTips/vacuum_gauge_readings.aspx

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
THANKS jdub!!! i never knew THATS why people use the lex afm, i always thought it was just for more volume to help the system breathe...only had the car a few weeks now, havnt gotten around to searching much yet...sorry.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
chefma70;1459870 said:
i hope i dont ge flamed for this but...

what would make boost leaks what should i be checking for??????:1zhelp:

i can tell you that the place where the turbo elbow and down pipe meet dosent have a gasket doest that count as a boost leak.or is boost leak something to do with vacume lines??

my boost gauge reads a steady 22 at idle is that normal??

mine sits at 19

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Other way of running 10psi without fuel cut is to extract the screw out in the blocked off passageway. This is the same theory with the LEX AFM as It will allow enough air pass the AFM to be undetected.

First but not least.. check for boost leaks, fuel cut is GOOD, maintenance.

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
I was hitting fuel cut at 14 and i have an t3t4 garret turbo and the only thing i can say to solve all the problems u will have is to go stand alone or waste 500 bucks on things like safc and others parts that only give u 17 to 20 more hp and a lil tq when u can tune ur car all u want and mess around with boost pressure fuel pressure and all the secret ingredents to make a sick mk3

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
supramk3;1460317 said:
I was hitting fuel cut at 14 and i have an t3t4 garret turbo and the only thing i can say to solve all the problems u will have is to go stand alone or waste 500 bucks on things like safc and others parts that only give u 17 to 20 more hp and a lil tq when u can tune ur car all u want and mess around with boost pressure fuel pressure and all the secret ingredents to make a sick mk3

A lex afm, bigger injectors, good fuel pressure regulator and an safc is capable of a very good amount of power. I remember seeing someone recently breaking 500 to the tire. A standalone isnt the only "fix".

Not saying its the safest/best, but capable.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supramk3;1460317 said:

:nono:

just90gs

Supramania Contributor
Jul 21, 2009
yortown Va
you can check for boost leak's with a simple tool all you need is a cuppler the size of your turbo.too hose clamp's a pvc block off and a air valve stem.
Then you take that pvc block off putt it in the cuppler put the 2 hose clampes on the cupple and the valve stem on the the block off.
And you now have a tool for checking boost leak's. :)

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
supramk3;1460317 said:
No_not_rly_owl.jpg

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
so whats a rough estimate what kindve boost you can peak with a lex afm before cut? is 400 to the wheels using an safc2 going to be possible...or even worth the time trying?

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
suprajztwenty;1460595 said:
so whats a rough estimate what kindve boost you can peak with a lex afm before cut? is 400 to the wheels using an safc2 going to be possible...or even worth the time trying?
can't do it with a stock CT, that's about tops with 57 or 60 trim CT with other supporting mods (ie, fuel upgrades), with properly matched T4 turbo 500+ with appropriate supporting mods, research this site and others. there is tons of info out there
Gotta pay to play tho
Find the informative links at the top of the page for more like:
http://rob.carlile.home.mchsi.com/lexus/lexus1.htm

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
mdr40z;1460840 said:
can't do it with a stock CT, that's about tops with 57 or 60 trim CT with other supporting mods (ie, fuel upgrades), with properly matched T4 turbo 500+ with appropriate supporting mods, research this site and others. there is tons of info out there
Gotta pay to play tho

well yea i figured that was a given, sorry...driftmotion 57trim eventually. ive done a little searching, and i figure the combo ill need but most people seem to be running maft pro, will an safc do just fine for 400whp?