Is a 1JZ-GTE U.S legal?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The short answer is no. It was not originally available in the US.

You can go about getting it "smogged" depending on enforcement where you live.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
YureiMKIII said:
but isnt cali. more strict w/ emission and inspection?

Yes, tenfold most states.

a 1JZ would pass a sniffer I am sure, but not being equipped with an EGR valve, it will fail the visual part of the inspection, being the model year of the car.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You need low NOx, not an EGR valve. If the car didn't come with one, it doesn't need one. That being said, you will have a tough time with NOx if you don't have it.

Depending on your states enforcement of the 1990 Clean Air Act.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
technically... dont any laws enforced after the year your car was released apply only to those cars before the act... i.e

buy a 1988 1JZ supra at your local toyota dealer... have it for 3 years (released late 87). This 1990 law you state is passed, you go to get your car tested... and what it failed... time for a new car or engine modification? I was always under the impression any laws about smog passed on a certain date only effected cars made after that date... If the 1JZ was sold in America, yes it can pass smog, they can't tell you oh wait, hmm... this car is too old to pass smog, then if anything Historic ftw :). 1 Year Left :-D

here in Maryland you need to pass smog every 2 years on a registered vehicle aside from historic (may be others but I dont every plan to register as one).

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Merlyn said:
buy a 1988 1JZ supra at your local toyota dealer...

I might be wrong about the year:1zhelp: but there are just two small problems with that...1) I don't think the 1J was available in 1988, and, 2) they were never sold here in the US.:cry:

I do see the point you are trying to get across though.:icon_razz

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yes, the standards for your individual car makes generally don't change.

But new laws can supercede old standars.For example, you can not put a 1968 350 CID Chevy in a 1998 Camaro. But you can put a GM LS1 from 1998 in a 1968 Camaro. You can not go backwards with standards.

And if it was not sold in the US then, you can not bring it in now. Like I said, it depends on enforcement. I posted a link in the emission thread in the politics section to the Federal IM240 test. Read about enforcement.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
91T breezen' said:
I might be wrong about the year:1zhelp: but there are just two small problems with that...1) I don't think the 1J was available in 1988, and, 2) they were never sold here in the US.:cry:

I do see the point you are trying to get across though.:icon_razz

I am not going to pretend to know anything about supra's as I just got my first one but...

nm, on my statement, sorry about that, I was under the impression in 88 - 89? in america the supra had a 1JZ as an option, then leading into the 2JZ for the MK4, my apology, but still :-D statement still stands, if it technically could have passed emissions on older laws, newer standards can not be held for older cars... i.e OBD Cars with 2 o2 vs OBD-II with 4 o2's... EGR was year to year, and honestly I doubt a tech at the local sniffer station knows what years had EGR vs didn't

i.e the maxima that came out in 01 (same generation by name 5th gen) had an EGR while the 02 didn't... (I believe I am correct in saying that). and just to back up even further on defense

I had a 93 Probe GT, cut the EGR valve complete off, they sniffed it, but did no visual inspection (failed NOx anyway). Again state to state, but honestly, I bet there is a way to pass it, Otherwise... 88... depending on state, 1 more year till it is historic anyway :-D

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
1988SupraDreams said:
The only ways a 1JZ is illegal is if you have visual inspection in your state, like mine, California, or if it doesnt pass the sniffer test.

no no no ;)
the 1jz is illegal in the states. The motors sold via your fav jdM m@d tYt3 y000! shop has a litttle statement that says, for off road use only.

Just beacuse the law is not enforced in any capacity does not make it LEGAL.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
figgie said:
no no no ;)
the 1jz is illegal in the states. The motors sold via your fav jdM m@d tYt3 y000! shop has a litttle statement that says, for off road use only.

Just beacuse the law is not enforced in any capacity does not make it LEGAL.

yup. you can get away with it in many places i am sure, but that does not make it legal.

a 2jzgte swap on the other hand should be completely legal. since the motor was sold here in the US and is newer than any motor that came in the mkiii.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
OneJoeZee has had a couple 1jz cars and he lives in california so there is a way to do it. Maybe he will tell us how.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
btw to explain why it is illegal.

One simple statment.

Lack of EPA certification.

The 1jz was never ever tested on US soil and therefore never recieved that all soo critical cert. So yes you can be running the 1jz (just like I bring in my fav cuban cigars) but do not bitch and moan when the LE decides to start enforcing the law. ;)

as per the EPA

EPA.gov said:
A "certified configuration" is an engine or engine chassis design which has been "certified" (approved)
by EPA prior to the production of vehicles with that design. Generally, the manufacturer submits an
application for certification of the designs of each engine or vehicle it proposes to manufacture prior to
production. The application includes design requirements for all emission related parts, engine
calibrations, and other design parameters for each different type of engine (in heavy-duty vehicles), or
engine chassis combination (in light-duty vehicles). EPA then "certifies" each acceptable design for use,
in vehicles of the upcoming model year.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
89turbosupra said:
OneJoeZee has had a couple 1jz cars and he lives in california so there is a way to do it. Maybe he will tell us how.

yeah i and I bring in Cuban Cigars into this country too.. lol

there is always ways to do it. Again check your fav jdm tyte importer for 1jz. They are not that difficult to source. But don't be surprised when the hammer falls.

ninjaedit:

found it!! Read the following EPA statement CAREFULLY!!

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf said:
Another situation recently brought to EPA's attention involves the offering for sale of used foreign-built
engines. These engines are often not covered by a certified configuration (that means the 1jz!!) for any vehicle sold in this country. In such a case, there is no way to install such an engine legally. EPA has recently brought enforcement actions against certain parties who have violated the tampering prohibition by performing illegal engine switches.

I am telling you guys. Ignorance of the law does not absolve you from the law!! After that, it is all on you!

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
lagged said:
a 2jzgte swap on the other hand should be completely legal. since the motor was sold here in the US and is newer than any motor that came in the mkiii.

Unless the 2J is bone stock and in complete compliance with the law and has all the necessary 'smog' equipment, it's in the same boat as everyone else with a 1J or modded 7M or whatever.

If you get pulled over and the cop doesn't like or know what he sees, you get sent to the state ref. The only difference is the amount of effort you'll have to put in to get car to pass at the state ref(much worse experience than a normal smog station) and they won't overlook anything.