Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Open wheeled racing sucks.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
OK - many of us know of the split between IRL and what is now known as Champ Car 10 years ago. Where do your loyalties lie?

IRL - mostly ovals, 1 international event, Danica Patrick

Champ Car - Mostly road courses, 7 international events, turbo v8s

I say Champ Car

Last edited:

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
i was talking about this today after watching the toronto race with a friend...

i would take the champ car for the simple fact they still use a form of stick shift (at least in most of the cars) as opposed to the paddle shifters in the IRL cars....

and yes road courses own oval courses..so much more fun to watch ..... more driving skill involved IMO....

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
F1 is better....

better tracks
better engines
better chassis's
better electronics
better looking cars
better technology
better pit girls
better like everything........

nothing beats pneumatic valvetrains and inconel exhaust manfolds humming in syncronized mayhem at 18K rpm.

-Jonathan

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
CT - IROC or ROC? :wink
Lanky - yeah, fixed that
Ideal - I agree completely
Siman - interesting points, but the races are usually very boring. One man shows most of the time. The Champ Car races I've seen have been very exciting. Not all the hype of F1, but the cars are just as fast and cheaper. The series is a real underdog and can take off if they ever get their shit straight with the IRL. NASCAR is only as popular as it is because of the schism between IRL and Champ Car.

L

lanky189

Siman, i tend to agree when it comes to the technology and the cars, but F1 is so political and bullshittery-filled.

put Truili in a ferrari and he would win, because Ferrari pwns F1, F1 is a testament to automotive technology etc.. but it is not a real test of drivers... ideally, the best test of drivers is stock cars, and i mean all the cars exactly the same, which won't happen because then the sponsorship money won't flow from the manufacturers

Nascar is popular for a few reasons, 1 is that IRL and Champ are split up,
the other has to do with the incredible marketing job and the fan relations that drivers have. In no other driving series do the drivers, the stars of the show have such a relationship and spend so much time with the fans as in Nascar.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
yup and you know that they exploit drivers like danica patrick and dario franchiti (because of his wife) to bring in more people. But to me, its just another type of car going in circles. While I do enjoy Nascar from time to time, IRL is just much of the same, just with different tech.

Lanky and I were discussing Champ Car a while ago and we both feel that open wheeled racing should be on road courses. This lends a big advantage to Champ Car vs IRL due to the predominance of that type of race. Another cool tech note is that the drivers have 60 seconds of a higher boost level to use as they see fit, actuated by a button on the wheel. Those cars sound so cool when they're goin slow enough that you can hear the turbo over the exhaust.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
man i just want to go watch some wrecks now from IRL and champ and rally races.
ahh the glory of metal slaming into trees and concrete and going of cliffs. i love the WRC.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Squid699 said:
yup and you know that they exploit drivers like danica patrick and dario franchiti (because of his wife) to bring in more people. But to me, its just another type of car going in circles. While I do enjoy Nascar from time to time, IRL is just much of the same, just with different tech.

Lanky and I were discussing Champ Car a while ago and we both feel that open wheeled racing should be on road courses. This lends a big advantage to Champ Car vs IRL due to the predominance of that type of race. Another cool tech note is that the drivers have 60 seconds of a higher boost level to use as they see fit, actuated by a button on the wheel. Those cars sound so cool when they're goin slow enough that you can hear the turbo over the exhaust.

yeah the "power to pass" thing is pretty cool.... another thing i found out the other day while watching the race that i didnt know...was that even if they only save 1 second...they get a full 15 seconds of usage.... so in essence if they are GOOD... they get 75 seconds of power to pass.... because its a safety thing i guess that it doesnt shut off in "half pass".

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
IRL doesn't have paddle shifters, and frankly the IRL promotion team sucks. Its lost its "we're gonna get American men back into racing from grassroots" appeal. Now its, "Have money, will race."

F1 is cool, but as stated pollitically it sucks.

Nascar is just like the WWF or now WWE.

CART has great reliable 40psi boosted engines, and washed up open wheel drivers from other countries.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Idealsupra said:
yeah the "power to pass" thing is pretty cool.... another thing i found out the other day while watching the race that i didnt know...was that even if they only save 1 second...they get a full 15 seconds of usage.... so in essence if they are GOOD... they get 75 seconds of power to pass.... because its a safety thing i guess that it doesnt shut off in "half pass".

true, but only if they time it right going down a straight........but still damn cool.

L

lanky189

MDCmotorsports said:
IRL doesn't have paddle shifters, and frankly the IRL promotion team sucks. Its lost its "we're gonna get American men back into racing from grassroots" appeal. Now its, "Have money, will race."

F1 is cool, but as stated pollitically it sucks.

Nascar is just like the WWF or now WWE.

CART has great reliable 40psi boosted engines, and washed up open wheel drivers from other countries.

Don't you build engines for the Usac midgets or something? Don't you think the circle drag dirt racing guys are pretty WWF as well?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
lanky189 said:
Don't you build engines for the Usac midgets or something? Don't you think the circle drag dirt racing guys are pretty WWF as well?

Circle drag dirt guys?

You got me there Lank.

Drag racing?

Dirt racing?

What are ya talking about?

As for that, after it all boils down, most racing orginizations (sp?) are full of Drama, with thier fav's.

L

lanky189

i meant circle track racing, dirt ovals....

you used to have a pic of a midget in your sig right?

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
I've watched all sorts of racing and been to diffrent races.

IRL makes for good races, but those cars can't turn like a F1 car can.

Nascar is good at Daytona and talladega. Bristol is pretty good. Watkins Glen and Sears Point are not for Stock cars.

my Pick is WRC. Loab is just one hell of a driver.

The ROC event that's been taking place last 2 years was a waste of time. The WRC drivers can't turn the car like the car is meant to be turned.