Iphone, i called it.

TheAmazingDave

Formerly 86mister2
Feb 26, 2007
Cali South Bay
dugums said:
Ahh, it's nice to be "dumb" .... :icon_razz -- I don't have to complain about phones that I don't like....

Let's say you're right. If a company can simply "target" the dumb crowd with lots of money to spend, and make a product that they will buy -- they shouldn't do it because Ric says it's a POS and a failure because it doesn't live up to his standards? About it?

Hmmm. It sounds like all other phones are the real failures - they have to pack all of those features for less money -- and they won't sell as many..
I use most of the features of my Windows Mobile phone, so buying an iPhone at this stage would be a huge downgrade, especially with no high-speed wireless. So I don't see where you're going with that.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
86mister2 said:
I use most of the features of my Windows Mobile phone, so buying an iPhone at this stage would be a huge downgrade, especially with no high-speed wireless. So I don't see where you're going with that.

Post was not in reference to yours.

It seems clear that you use the features of your phone and that the current iteration of the iPhone would not suit you.

I am responding to the statement that the iPhone was a "failure" even though it was conceded that it would probably sell big numbers.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Oh I forgot to add.. I've watched the stolen Ratatouille divx on my old 2125 today at work. Very good movie BTW. The animated french girl is hot :) I have several DIVX movies on my SD card that I watch on my phone when i'm at work with headsets.

Let's see the Iphone support full lenght DIVX movies. With them resized to the phones resolution (320x240), I can fit quite a nice DVD movie collection on a 2gig storage card, oh and a nice MP3 collection on top of that. MP3's are lame anyways, I prefer .mpg music videos.

HA HA HA HA HA take that Iphone.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Lol, Ric :icon_bigg

I didn't realize the point of smartphones was to make it easier to slack off at work.:biglaugh:

I now see the light!!!

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
dugums said:
Post was not in reference to yours.

It seems clear that you use the features of your phone and that the current iteration of the iPhone would not suit you.

I am responding to the statement that the iPhone was a "failure" even though it was conceded that it would probably sell big numbers.

It's a failure as a "smartphone", but a complete success for as a money making device for Apple. Features do not sell phones to the general public, fashion does. That is a proven fact. Just look at Cingular's Razr. Complete pile of trash, everyone knows it is, but everyone still had to have one.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
OneJoeZee said:
Sales numbers will determine if it's a failure or not.

You sneeky Joe. I saw what you did.

BTW, if you held out on getting an ipod because of Iphone, what happens when your phone breaks? You have no phone and no Ipod. That's why I bought an Ipod and a Blackberry pearl. My phone has almost everything and more than the iphone except for the music and it was $450 cheaper. Fuck the iphone.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Ric said:
Oh I forgot to add.. I've watched the stolen Ratatouille divx on my old 2125 today at work. Very good movie BTW. The animated french girl is hot :) I have several DIVX movies on my SD card that I watch on my phone when i'm at work with headsets.

Let's see the Iphone support full lenght DIVX movies. With them resized to the phones resolution (320x240), I can fit quite a nice DVD movie collection on a 2gig storage card, oh and a nice MP3 collection on top of that. MP3's are lame anyways, I prefer .mpg music videos.

HA HA HA HA HA take that Iphone.

In the age old iPod vs 'other mp3 player' it usualy comes down to this. Why cant I bootleg stuff with apple products. Maybe just maybe because they dont see you stealing stuff as a selling point? Then maybe the target audience isnt likely to want to steal content to begin with.

Also, if its not an all out anti-apple issue it becomes why isnt feature X included. Theres always the people whining a product doesnt have some odd ball feature that they want. Guess what, they cant make every feature that everyone wants.

Its funny you use .mpgs and not .wmv for music vidoes though....

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Better quality with mpg.

For a $600 phone, yeah... it's lacking features for the price and for the fact that it's running OSX. It's not a question of wanting ODD ball features, it's a question of EXPECTING the same features of comparable phones that are cheaper.

Even on the POS Treo 700w, I can use the FREE Google Maps download and navigate myself all around the USA using realtime GPS that's built in. The Iphone does not even have GPS, good luck with that when you dial 911.

Oh and as far as music goes, If i run out of MP3's on my little 2gig SD card, I can just stream sirius or shoutcast. Owned again.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Dic said:
Of course it will sell, alot, thats not the question. The issue is, people are paying $600 for something that does less then a phone half it's price.

The reason why it will be successful for being so expensive and so feature lacking compared to other smartphones is............

.....It targets the technology trendy market that buy products to be "in". No matter how lacking it is compared to other smartphones it will still be successful, because it's targeted to a market that isn't capable of successfully using a real smartphone. It's removed features are actually a selling point, because it makes it easier to use.

Apple just made a smartphone for dumb people. Congrats, it was a genius idea.

Why do you care who it targets and if the target audience is 'dumb' or not?

Weren't you the guy that wanted to make a fake interfooler radiator thing to appeal to the masses of dumb ricers? :stickpoke So stop bitching about something you see as a 'dumb' idea when yourself planned to make money the same way with your stupid interfooler radiator.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. :stickpoke

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
F*ck an Apple, f*ck a Mac, f*ck an IPod or anything related to any of them. For that money I would rather get some sort of PDA/Smartphone, or even spend a little more on a N95 or other "high-end" Nokia phone.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Ric said:
I know ALOT about the Iphone, I work for Palm.. you're competition.

Really then maybe you can tell why the hell Palm can't do a decent damn smart phone. Both of the treo's I have owned have been maddening as all hell to use. The interface has improved over the years but is far, FAR less then ideal. And you really shouldn't try to talk up the web browser on those things because they are nothing more than a cruel joke. Also being able to edit documents on the phone is useless when you hate doing so to the point that you will wait until you find a proper computer to do the work on. From what I have seen of the Iphone the UI is a far more user friendly. Yes it still has it's short falls, but it's getting off to a better start than Palm did. They are trying something new when the stuff I'm seeing come from Palm is growing stale. I'm glad to see this breath of fresh air into the smartphone market, and am eager to see where this goes. For the time being I will give the Iphone the benefit of the doubt since it is just starting.

It will be awhile before I choose my next smartphone, but I like what I see coming with the Iphone, and Palm has repeatedly failed to impress. So by the 3rd or 4th generation Iphone comes out I'll see where palm is standing and what they have and go from there.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
The interfooler is a great idea. PS i'm not charging $600 for it either lol

Oh, for you people wonder why an SD card slot and IR port are so good?

When on vacation I would put the camera's SD card in my phone and email pictures on the spot to my family.

I have a program on my phone that turns the IR port into a remote control. It conrols my projector for presentations, and i can change channels on the TV in the break room :)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ric said:
The interfooler is a great idea. PS i'm not charging $600 for it either lol

You are missing the point.:nono: It doesn't matter what the price is.

For someone to be thinking about an item marketed at ricers(dumb folks), you should not be bitching about another product you believe to be marketed at 'dumb' folks.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
With Apple's clever marketing, the iPhone is going to sell, and sell well. It's similar to the IPod in the MP3 player market, it's by far not the best product in it's class, but it still heavily out sells the competition mainly because of the brand itself, everyone has heard of the Apple IPod, but a lot fewer know about Creative Lab's Zen for example.

It may be an inferior product, but let's face it, most people are idiots still stuck in that "High School" mentality, they want something because it's cool, not because it works.

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Ric said:
Push email from Yahoo? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, tell that to my boss. How does it connect to my exchange server? That's all I need to know.

The iPhone is not intended or marketed as a business-professional product; it's a personal device. So no, I don't care to tell its features to your boss, regardless.

By the way, it actually works great with Microsoft Exchange.

Last edited: