Iphone, i called it.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
1.gif
1.gif
-The mobile version of OS X takes up 700MB of the device's capacity.

-There's no way to cut, copy, or paste text!

-No A2DP support. (bluetooth stereo)

-Music can't be used as a ringtone -- even if it's just a raw MP3. No additional ringtones will be sold at launch.

-Document file reading -- but not editing -- for PDF, Word, and Excel (only).

-It will take snaps, but won't record video.

-No MMS(pict text)

-No GPS

-No IM client

-No Voice Dial

-No over-the-air download of songs from the iTunes store

-No support for Flash in the browser

-No zoom feature on the camera

-No autofocus on the camera

-No Removable Batt

-No SD slot

-No user-switchable SIM card (you can't use your old one)

-No 3G

-No Keyboard

-No Insurance

-No Mail in rebate

for $600 there sure are a lot of NO's

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
There will be mods/software written to add most of what you listed there in the future.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
I'm not modding a phone that i'd pay $600 for to get features that "free" phones offer.

What a piece of shit. My crappy old Cingular 2125 Windows Mobile 5 phone does all that and more. I paid $99 for it a year ago, now it's $25 from Cingular.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Thats fine nobody said you had to mod it.
But it will be an option, of course it will void warranty most likely.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
iPhone is all hype, designed to appeal to the trendy cupertino set and flash mofo's in NYC. For the majority of people, as you've already demonstrated, it has no use whatsoever.

I'm happy with my Sony Ericsson K750i, allows me to call people, text people, voice message them, picture message them and its got a 2.0MP AF digital camera that does video....

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
SupraDerk said:
My 3 year old Nokia phone does everything I need it to do... allow me to answer and make phone calls.

Exactly, what more do you need.

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Ric: I work for Apple. On the iPhone team. I'm serious; I have no less than two iPhones.

Who says the OS takes up 700MB? I'm curious, because it doesn't. Not even close.

Several of your other complaints are going to be fixed in software updates--of course. This device is positively astonishing, but it is a first revision, 1.0 device. All you can do is complain about some small features it doesn't have, such as no way to EDIT Word documents on the go? You should be happy that we had time to add features to read Microsoft formats, when there is so much work to do in creating a product like this.

Most of the rest of your complaints are drawn-out FUD. The phone is a breakthrough in both hardware and software--and you complain the 2-megapixel camera does not have a zoom?! Phone cameras are used for on-the-spot shots, not zoom photography. You complain about no Flash in the browser, when Apple brings desktop-class browsing to a handheld device for the first time?! You complain about no SD slot for expandability, when 4-8GB of memory is built in, compared to 64-128MB in other smartphones that REQUIRE an expensive SD card to get any useful space?!

This is frankly infuriating. I hope you people see the truth when you actually use one of these things. Fortunately we're launching today.

sleepy8602

Supra fiend
Mar 14, 2007
D-Town,Tx
Kai said:
iPhone is all hype, designed to appeal to the trendy cupertino set and flash mofo's in NYC. For the majority of people, as you've already demonstrated, it has no use whatsoever.

I'm happy with my Sony Ericsson K750i, allows me to call people, text people, voice message them, picture message them and its got a 2.0MP AF digital camera that does video....

:agreed:

the "OMG I just have to have it crowd"

fuck that I quit spending money on expensive phones last year

more money for the SUPRA oh yeah

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Please explain to me then, why i would want a shite non zoom, non-AF 2.0MP camera, over a 2 year old design Sony Ericsson K750i that has both AF and zoom features in addition to being able to take B&W and sepia shots?

Also, SD cards and Sony memory sticks are dirt cheap. 1.0gb SD card for £12 and a 1gb MS Duo costs me £19.99 - how is that expensive?

You're shooting yourself in the foot by NOT including it - a device already as expensive and bloated as this should have one as a matter of course.

The featureset on the iPhone is simply 'ooh look at me! shiny! look! shinyyyyy!!!' and has f*ck all substance to it. $600 for one? Pull the other one, i could buy a G4 ibook for that, and use a cell phone.

Waste of money and nothing but hype. I hope it bombs so that the great turtle-necked one sees that maybe the sun doesn't shine out of his arse.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Supraman - good job..

I don't know why people are so happy to bash this product. People who haven't used it should STFU. A product doesn't have to offer everything to be great. Just the integration of an iPod and a phone is going to be enough for many, many people -- And the iPhone does a hell of a lot more.

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on one prior to launch (though I probably shouldn't tell you that, lol) and I thought it was a great product.

Ric can say "he called it" all day long, it is not going stop the iPhone from being what it is - a hit.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Why do you own your Supra? *serious question*

Think about why you own it, and you will see why people will buy the iPhone.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
LOL dude, you're living under a rock.

Ever use a Windows Mobile phone????? I guess no one at Apple has yet. Um, desktop class browsing has been out for a long time now. I've been using Java and Flash on my WM5 phone for over a year now alone. I post on these forums using my phone, so yeah... sorry, not a first. The Iphone actually has less browsing abilities and compatibilities then my old busted Cingular 2125 with internet explorer. Fail #1

2mp camera isn't a first either, in fact, it's still a tiny CMOS sensor and the quality is no different then any other cell phone on the market, horrible in less then perfect lighting conditions. All the 2mp thing is, is a marketing ploy. All the phone does is make a larger image file, but it's the same CMOS camera sensor as any other $10 phone on the market.

So my question is, why are these things going to be FIXED in an update???? Why not just do it right the first time???

I work for Palm, and helped develop the Treo 700w (a bigger pos then the iphone), but at least it has smartphone features. Windows smartphones not only VIEW office documents, but you can also edit and create them.

I havn't even bothered to look, but can the Iphone wirelessly sync with exchange and blackberry servers with direct push technology? God i hope so.

Basically Supraman, I feel your pain. I understand the Iphone is not sold as a business class smartphone, but for the price, it does ALOT less then phones of half the price. The phone only has 4-8gb of data storage for Itunes. Of course, that's all the phone was designed to do. Play music and make phone calls. In a business world, Yes, I use my SD card all the time. I use it to take pictures with my phone from work and to trasfer them to my computer or directly to the printer. I also use it for data trasfers from multiple devices without having to do a very long and very slow pc sync.

Tell me, with an Iphone, how can i trasfer a 10mb file on my phone to my co-worker sitting next to me without a computer? Bluetooth? lol. Thats the beauty of SD cards. Does the Iphone even support that profile?

The Iphone = Sidekick. It's a toy for children that want to listen to music and make phone calls. Trust me, I hear it all the time working here at palm how they claim to be the "first" to do something, when actually... It's just the first phone to trick customers to pay alot of money for nothing.

So what is the Iphone? It's Cingular's new "Razr". Every trendy starbucks drinking customer in NYC will have one of these by next week for no reason except to say they have one. Cingular did the same thing wtih the Razr, and it was very successful.