Intro.

Hey whats up Everyone?

Names Bryan,
From SF Bay Area, CA.
Just recently got a White/Burg 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo MKIII 7M-GTE Targa[my targa top is blue.. everything else... burg.. haaah...] in July of 2009 as my 2nd car, previous car was a 02 stratus, totalled it, Doh!

Currently Odometer reads 270k miles.. 140k miles on a rebuilt , so i was told by the last owner, who told me hed get me a side window because he already paid for it, since it was supposedly broken into couple days before, called him 2 weeks straight no answer.. ended up going to a pick n pull and gettin the window for 40 bucks.. anyways soooooo im not sure if i should trust that its a rebuilt bein that he lied to me bout gettin the window..

Other than that
But enjoying every moment driving my Supra.

Hopefully ill be able to meet up with some people from the Bay Area, CA who can help me out with gettin my MKIII straight.

Not much of a mechanic but do want to persue being able to fix my own car.. which i have already fixed a couple of issues that have been needing some attention.

As far as i know.. i still need the following to be fixed/repaired

1. Code 52 - Knock Sensor
-like i said not much of a mechanic, so dont want to just take everything thats in my way to the KS and mess something else up...

2. Brakes, just cleared my Anti-Lock light but the car still has issues coming to a hault. maybe new rotors and pads... will be using the forums as a resource for trouble shooting.

3. Usually after 20-30 min drive at the end im getting coolant spillage, ill take a look at the resevoir and its all the way up there.. and from what i read from different forums its a sign of a BHG, and will probably need one of my mechanic friends to help me out with getting that done.

4. Timing belt.

5. Not sure when the last owner changed the oil, but figure id be safe and have it done. and from what i was told.. once you go redline oil you have to stay redline? not sure, hopefully someone here can inform me.. thanks.

6. Running on 3 Falkens and 1 Michelin .. the rim with the michelin on it, the rim is all grinded.. also both front rims have dents in them.. not sure if i should just new rims and tires all around...

7. The Electronics - no radio, not sure if speakers are any good deck lighting is pretty low but then again last owner put in a custom deck.. soooo yeah..
dome lights not working for somereason.. i think there's an open in the wiring, trunk pop from the remote doesnt work.. driverside power lock button doesnt work correctly..

8. Looks.. paint, redo tint, mouldings, spoiler rattles right side mount is broken, interior, shift knob, targa top i think isnt formed corretly, e-brake cover is not attatched, power seat botton fell off last owner put a screw as a substitute[ lol ].. seats, flooring, just gotta square everything out..

9. Maybe new Tranny? havent hat too much of an issue with shifting..

now for the pics.. no interior pics at all... nor under hood pics nothin to flashy bout the engine right now.. all dirty no pretty.
i do got an Aftermarket air filter k&n and a blitz blow off valve, and also a aftermarket muffler, not sure which havent checked yet.

Attachments

• l_ee2c91f4761a4feb99ff5bfb737a9810.jpg
    l_ee2c91f4761a4feb99ff5bfb737a9810.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 27
  • l_8471649fbce5440eaab6be627c1c285e.jpg
    l_8471649fbce5440eaab6be627c1c285e.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 22
  • l_289b5312c5ca420898be1eadb9dcd3d8.jpg
    l_289b5312c5ca420898be1eadb9dcd3d8.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 25
  • l_cf2dd57c3c1c481eb62ced6240d38fef.jpg
    l_cf2dd57c3c1c481eb62ced6240d38fef.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 21
  • l_3c540e8b935d4e0fa35b4b6a50bdb9d6.jpg
    l_3c540e8b935d4e0fa35b4b6a50bdb9d6.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 19

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
Welcome to the forums. Do some searching on this site and you should learn alot about how to repair / modify your new Supra. As for your Knock sensor.. check out Shaeff Knock Sensor Rewire Kit. I was throwing Code 52 non-stop, bought Shaeff's kit and no more codes. The previous owner had some really shotty wiring on the knock sensors. Good luck.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
If your leaking coolant dont drive the car. You can very easily anneal the head, and warp it and blow a HG if you havent already. Annealing is a process where too much heat causes grain growth, which essentially means the aluminum becomes too soft. Do some research if you want to know more, the info is available here. When you do the HG job before you have the head machined, have them test it for hardness. If it fails you need to source a new head.
Sounds like you have a project on you hands. You will be able to answer most questions by searching the forum, and when you cant find the answer then start a new thread. Post the thread in the appropriate section, give as many details as possible, tell people what you searched, what you learned and what you still need to know. This will almost always yeild great answers fast. Vague questions get vague answers like. Q:power loss? A:Check codes.
Good luck friend and welcome to the forum!

thanks a lot man. its not really leaking coolant. its being forced out of the coolant overflow reservoir ... but of course thats after a longer drive. im assuming its from my code 52 knock sensor error. but ill have to pm Shaeff if he is still making those kits.

but thanks a lot for the info.
i do know that posting new threads here puts you in the deep blue sea with no shark cage ... and a buncha sharks alllllll around lol

thanks again.

so i was wondering why my dash was so dim and why i had an ugly flat button that was doublesided taped underneath where the coin and foglight buttons were.

so i fabricated my own button instead of that flat button by using a computer switch and glued it into one of the coin things . and now my dash lighting is up. didnt even know i had it.

but heres the pic

l_daf61b224bff4f9db0a0dddb06ecf227.jpg

its pretty cool i like it dont know where the past owner got it..
anyone know where one could get this?

....now to figure out how to get the needles a different color..

Current damage to White Mkiii

just recently spun out swurving to avoid hitting a deer... spun out and hit the curb on the driverside rear wheel. so i need a whole new axel hub.
both lower suspension arms, strut rod, upper suspension arm, axel carrier, backplate to axel carrier, dust deflector, rotor, caliper, etc... sucks...

l_b919e9c206454632a791510d8726dbdd.jpg

l_7cc9a9d33bb24a3c8b48e336c6cf396b.jpg

l_4b2ed66cb3da4496bb91ee631afec27d.jpg

l_5c773b76cfba41258dad40bcd7f09dcb.jpg

Picked myself a parts car. just gotta figure out whats usable what to keep and what to sell.

l_2282316c3ade4bc69c1305a8fb4eb362.jpg

l_f110f370db9b4ab18c1e6be1451a1d20.jpg