intermittent starting issues..

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
checked out those relay bypass threads and such for the starter.. but I want to make sure that's the issue before trying it out. anyways, this just started about a month ago.

came out one day to start the car (after a car meet, fail), and all it did made was a minor click, but voltage seemed to be fine according to the AFC and N/A voltmeter I swapped in. just started happening again the other day, but if I try it a few times or whatever, it will usually start. however, the other day it did this and wouldn't turn over regardless of attemps, so I put a battery charger on for like 15mins, and it lit right off. (sigh)

just wondering what the hell causes that.. my dad suggested the ignition switch, though I'm not too sure what to think. the starter was replaced when I swapped, but it's been about 3 years, the battery is also 3 years old (-thinking of replacing it as step 1).

As always, thanks for your time.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
clean terminals? Could just be a sticky starter. Smash it with a hammer while try to get it to spin. Thats usually an easy way to diag that. If youre hearing a click from the starter it's not the relay.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
well, the battery wouldn't take a charge today must past 11.5v, and when I turned the key, it was dropping volts down to like 6-8..

I'm gonna replace it and see what's up.. if that solves it awesome, if not I'll be back to report.

(still escapes me why it would start eventually if there wasn't enough power though.. hmm. luck perhaps.)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Report back either way Dylan, nobody likes a problem thread without a solution, right? ;)

I had a similar issue down in Vegas last year, and I wasn't the only one. We had a push start a Mk4 haha... Anyway, mine seemed to not like the weather so much, as I've never had the issue in the colder climate up here. Sounds strange, but I had to try starting it while the car was being rocked a bit.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
well, the other "red-top" that I tried charging didn't seem to be functioning when it was on charge, but today it seemed fine. Despite this, I still picked up another one brand new and installed it, just in case.

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
I have the exact same issue. Voltage looks fine but it won't start. I'm using the 7M starter because I like the power of gear reduction.
A mechanic friend told me to replace the brushes in the starter and that when they get shorter the springs holding them to armature are more stretched out causing less pressure / higher resistance. When it does this it draws more from the battery so if it's even a little weak it won't turn over. This sounded reasonable so I gave it a try. When I took my starter apart I found out the brushes were indeed pretty worn so I replaced them and clean everything up. Seems to have reduced the occurrence by about 75% but it sill does it on a rare occasion.
My next thought was my Viper key less entry is not tripping the stock security system every time and the starter kill is still activated. I forgot the override sequence last time it happened so I wasn't able to confirm. I read up on it again so the next time it happens I can just try that instead of the battery charger thing you mentioned above which also works for me.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I noticed today that when I start the car, the AFC tells me the alternator is putting out ~13.8v, but as I was driving home, I noticed the voltage dropping from that point to about ~13.4v.. then, driving around for a while and finally arriving at the house, the AFC read 13.0v constant the whole time until I shut the car off. -this was at night time with the headlights on..

new alternator time?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
my girlfriends 91 toyota v6 pickup has the same issue... can rock it to get it to turn over or push start it ... starts fine all day but the first time she starts it in the morning...nothin .....her truck has no mods and a brand new red top battery.... so i would point to the starter first