Intermittent misfire, car randomly sounds like a lawnmower. Codes 14 and 43.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
My car has been having this problem off and on lately. For the past couple of weeks, it will randomly start misfiring. It sounds like a lawnmower, and the engine has absolutely no power. It sounds like it's misfiring on 1 cylinder, but it could be 2. Here's the thing, though: when this happens, I'll drive it down the road for a little while and then it will suddenly stop misfiring and will start behaving normally again. Today, it did this several times as I was on a long trip, until it started misfiring one last time, wouldn't stop, and I had to limp it home.

I checked for codes, and came up with code 14 and a code 43. 14 relates to the ignition coil/igniter, and 43 relates to the ignition switch circuit. However, I cleared the system, and now it's not throwing any codes. I'm thinking of replacing the ignition coil, but I'm not entirely sure. I just replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. My wires are nearly brand new. All of the wires were sparking at the distributor cap, but I didn't check at the plugs themselves.

Thoughts? :dunno:

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Update: found out it's misfiring on cylinders 2 and 5. I also found out that the connections to fuel injectors 2 and 5 are not grounding properly, which is causing the misfire. Need to run a voltage test on a few things within the ECU and check my grounds.

Any other ideas people might have?

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Unless he is running coil packs then the ge only has one coil. Sounds like a wiring issue or an ecu fault. Check the wiring for the injectors very carefully and try swapping to a known good ecu.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
I have no way to swap to a 'good' ecu without buying another ECU. The wires all looked fine. Should I try cleaning the connections? Where in the engine bay do the connections for those injectors ground?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Sorry, I didnt realize we were talking about a ge.

Injectors are grounded by the ECU (in pairs), and the other pin should always have power.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
mkiiichip;1857706 said:
Sorry, I didnt realize we were talking about a ge.

Injectors are grounded by the ECU (in pairs), and the other pin should always have power.

Other pin meaning what? Should I have the negative connector from my ohm meter on E01 (power ground) and the positive on No. 10 (or whichever pin I'm testing for)?

Last edited:

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Nick M;1857750 said:
I have seen an ignitor that would fail when it was warm. It certainly isn't common, but it can happen.

Well, my ignition coil tested out of specification, so it's going to get replaced. I would like to get my question about testing the ECU terminals answered, though.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Update: car decided to fix itself. Replaced the ignition coil, still was misfiring. Tested the fuel injector ground terminals on the ECU, and they tested fine. Plugged the connectors back in, started the car and it ran fine. Ugh.