Intermittent blue smoke

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
This is a repost of one I made in on the Chump Car Foum, as I am building a 1989 Supra (7M-GE) as a Chump Car endurance racer. I could use some help from you experienced Toyota guys.

I have been spending all of my time on the body, chassis, suspension and brakes, as the engine seemed fine. According to the previous owner, engine and head were rebuilt 10,000 miles ago and a new head gasket installed. But the spark plugs were shot and the so-called new exhaust was rusty as hell, so maybe he was lying about the engine, too.

Anyway, once I changed the plugs and oil, (and installed an accusump and oil cooler), the engine ran great, so I went on to other things. Yesterday, when I did a routine crank up (car is on jackstands) it was hard to get to idle until it warmed up and it was putting out intermittent smoke that was faintly blueish and smelled of oil.

So I let it run until it got to operating temp and played with the throttle a bit. It never overheated, and didn't smoke at idle, but if I got the rpms up a bit (3000) and let up on the throttle, then it would put out a cloud of blueish smoke.

I ain't no engine guru, so I need some help diagnosing the problem.

Do I need to pull just the head and have it professionally looked at? Or does it sound like something in the block?

Help?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could be valve seals.

Could also be rings. Id do a compression test and see where those numbers are at and then go from there.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Test drove the car for an hour today on the Intestate, and it ran great, with no smoke that I could see. So, I'm gonna cross my fingers and see how long the motor will last in our 1st race, Nov 1-2.

Attachments

• DSCN0968.JPG
    DSCN0968.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0969.JPG
    DSCN0969.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 1