Interesting "Now it won't start" situation

Bzdaname

Auto Dorifto Master
Mar 30, 2005
near Fredericksburg
students.umw.edu
Car has been off the road about 8 years. In the last 6 months I have garaged it and cleaned it up quite thoroughly. I have started the car and brought it to operating temp twice in the past 6 months, the most recent time being 2 months ago. Since, I have simply uninstalled the A340E trans., without removing the motor, and reinstalled a built one I had. THAT'S IT! Pretty simply stuff! Now the damn car won't start. All it has done the past 2 months is sit there! The car will crank its ass off, but will not turnover. I have done some initial troubleshooting. I have fuel coming into the fuel rail. I have disconnected the electronic solenoid harness in case the solenoid wiring was grounding out inside the trans case. Checked all fuses. Just seems like spark is being cut somewhere. I have not jumped into following around any ign voltage yet. Just figured I'd throw this out there and brainstorm some ideas before I go back out to the car.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Check cps connection also. My random no fires were due to the cps wires finally giving up.
Just another culprit to check

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I 2nd cinder's opinion.

This is the exact symptom of the CPS wires being faulty. Cranks forever but won't start. Wiggling the CPS wires will likely get you started.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Yup, I've had similar issues that turned out to be the CPS.

If wiggling the wires fixes it, take the CPS out and rebuild it. You can get a rebuild kit with all of the hardware (seals, bearing, etc), and you can get a new connector with wire leads.

rebuild kit: http://www.driftmotion.com/BPM-202-67-p/dm2758.htm
new connector: http://www.driftmotion.com/7M-GTE-CPS-Connector-p/dm1047.htm
new aluminum cover: http://www.driftmotion.com/product-p/dm2880.htm
or new boring stock cover: http://www.driftmotion.com/7M-CPS-Cover-Factory-Toyota-p/dm799.htm

Bzdaname

Auto Dorifto Master
Mar 30, 2005
near Fredericksburg
students.umw.edu
UPDATE: CPS connector has power...wire wiggle didn't fix it. So after checking nearly every connector in the main harness for power. I took off the I/C piping and sprayed a little brake cleaner into the throttle body while a buddy cranked...car started right up. Seems fuel is not being pushed through injectors. Under presumption that water was blocking fuel in the injectors/ I disassembled fuel rail / injectors and actually bought 6 new injector filters from RC engineering. Cleaned fuel rail / injectors. Reassembled....same shit! Just cranks its ass off. So my next step is testing fuel pulse with noid light and resistance testing the actual CPS. Any other ideas?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Bzdaname;2080070 said:
Any other ideas?

It is most likely directly related to your swap. Meaning disconnect and then reconnect. PCMs don't just fail, unlike what people here seem to think. The fuel system, like the pump, could have collected corrosion while sitting and that is why you have no fuel.

Does it run with B+ and Fp jumped in the diag box?

Bzdaname

Auto Dorifto Master
Mar 30, 2005
near Fredericksburg
students.umw.edu
I do have fuel though. When the supply line is disconnected from the fuel rail and the car is cranked...plenty of fuel is expelled through the line...so we know fuel is making it to the fuel rail. I ran just the fuel pump without cranking the motor for a solid 60-90 secs to pump out any fuel that was in the lines on reassembly.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Having fuel come out of the rail under pressure is a good sign too. The PCM grounds the injectors in gang fire order. Power is constant. Something isn't plugged in. The other choice is code 12, which is the CPS. The wiggle test is a great test for wiring, but it can be bad and not start with that test.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
He already knows the injectors are not firing, so all he really needs to check is B+ KEOE. That will isolate power supply or grounding through the PCM.