Interested in Reloading

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
I've recently acquired my second .40 S&W handgun (A Glock 23 and an FNX-40 for those of you who are interested) and after shooting this morning my ammo case has seen a more serious hurting than ever before.

I've flirted around with the idea of reloading before, but at this point I'm more interested in diving into more research and figuring out exactly what it would cost to get started, what the benefits and disadvantages are, is it even worth it, etc.

Case in point, does anyone here reload? Does anyone here have any idea where to start researching this stuff more thoroughly? Does anyone have any wisdom they would like to bless me with?

Rcks4me

Nov 3, 2011
fresno ca, usa
Reloading for a .40 isn't practical unless you have a specific type of shooting you need to tune your loads for. You can buy bulk ammo cheap for the range and self defense ammo you really shouldn't be blowing through. If you want to learn to reload then by all means but you will not benefit much $$ wise reloading .40.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Rcks4me;1894658 said:
Reloading for a .40 isn't practical unless you have a specific type of shooting you need to tune your loads for. You can buy bulk ammo cheap for the range and self defense ammo you really shouldn't be blowing through. If you want to learn to reload then by all means but you will not benefit much $$ wise reloading .40.

The same is true for most reloading. It's never a huge savings, it's just enough savings that it allows you to shoot more often for the same price. If you're not shooting a lot, it's not worth it at all.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
The larger the round the more you save.... .40 is worth it to load as there is savings to be made and the more you shoot the more you save....today you can't load 9mm cheaper than you can buy it but anything bigger does net gains.

Look into an rcbs rock chucker press...single stage and affordable....find carbide dies as they will last forever and you don't have to oil your cases....you'll need a good tumbler to clean your brass...those are the major costs...the rest of the shit is pretty cheap.