intercooler questions..

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
whatsup guys i've gotta 87 supra im swapping GE to GTE. first swap ever, im stoked i'm so close! but i have a couple questions about the intercooler. since i have a GE body will i have to custom mount the IC soewhere up front? and what pipes did most of you use for your intake/intercooler? hard or soft pipes?

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
i recently finished my swap. if you're using the stock intercooler it will mount with no problems. the nice thing is that all the body's had the same holes for mounting. i also swapped my auto for a manual and the holes where there for all the master cylinder parts and clutch. i used the stock rubber intercooler pipes for mine to save money

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
oh ok sweet! i need to chack where this thing mounts, i called toyota and they seem unsure about having the pipes. i'll have to keep looking. i still need to hookup the accelerator cable and downpipe. so if you have any input on the cable that'd be great. thanks man

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
i dont remember for sure, but i think i was able to use the throttle cable that was already in the car. as long as its long enough, the cable can be adjusted at the trottle linkage. i got my intercooler and piping off craigslist from a car that was being parted out for like $20. check the classified section on here. enough people have upgraded intercoolers and hard pipes that you should be able to pick some up for cheap. if you want hard pipes, you can get the intercooler and all hardpiping direct bolt on from driftmotion for below $400

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
I have a set of cooleze hardpipes for stock IC setup that I picked up.
It doesn't get rid of the 3000 pipe though. The top pipe from the 3000 into the fender is thermal wrapped since it sits right above the turbo and it has has an HKS flange.
Interested?
PM me.

Jose

89supra884

Apr 8, 2008
chicago
i am actually at my work right now, which happens to be a a toyota dealer lol. i asked the parts guy for some parts foir my 89, cause i am also doing my first ge auto to gte manual swap and he said that toyota usually stops making after 10 years, so your probably not going to find it there. if anything post something in the wtb section. im sure someone is selling some stock rubber piping.

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
sorry guys due to money and work ive been off this and had to oput the suopra to the side.. i did get stock piping but i think the guy who sent it to me didnt have all the pipes, seems like im missing one cuz it doesnt look right..

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
mike86supra;1693915 said:
sorry guys due to money and work ive been off this and had to oput the suopra to the side.. i did get stock piping but i think the guy who sent it to me didnt have all the pipes, seems like im missing one cuz it doesnt look right..

PM sent.

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
ok so this is what ive got, i know im definitaly missing some pieces..

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
mike86supra;1694809 said:
ok so this is what ive got, i know im definitaly missing some pieces..

Tag no good... have you a photobucket acct? Try uploading this pic to the photobucket acct, then once that is done, you will see four img tags under the pic. Select the lowest one and left click it. It should flash yellow and say "copied". Then you just paste it into your reply in this thread and POOF, we see the pic:)

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
mike86supra;1695018 said:
p1695165_1.jpg

think thats how its done

That's it man. Looks like you are missing more than one piece. I will compare to what I have and get back to you. I know you are missing the intermediate piece that goes between the two lower pipes from the turbo outlet. That bolts to the framerail under the car somewhere and there may be one more rubber hose too. Do you have the 3000 pipe that runs across the top of the head?

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
ok so i've got the car running but whenever i hit the gas the engine shuts off like ive got a vacuum leak. can the engine start and run without intercooler pipes set up???