interchangeable parts 88 - 89+

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
ok, i will make this short and simple, spring is here and the weather is nice a few things i want to do, i want to upgrade to progressivce power stearing, on my 88 i have acces to the parts for this, i also want to use a 89+ guage cluster and climet control along with any other things (center console Automatic trani controler unit)

has anyone had any luck with this kind of swaping, and is there anything i need that i have not thought of

thanks guys in advanced .

-David

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
ATL88Supra;973107 said:
has anyone had any luck with this kind of swaping, and is there anything i need that i have not thought of
Second-hand experience, but...

The climate control is a direct drop-in. I was using an '87 climate control for a period of time while I had my '89 one out for LED swapping.

The instrument cluster SHOULD be a direct drop-in, though if not, the individual instruments are. It's possible that there are different connections to the wire harness. I put a tach from an '87 into my '89 cluster, for example. (Mine is an NA cluster, and I dropped in a 7M-GTE, so I needed a different tach.)

I don't know about the PPS.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I looked in the Chassis Section of the TSRM on PPS...the diagram shows a computer controlling a solenoid on the rack based on the speed sensor in the instrument cluster speedo. That means a different rack, harness for the solenoid, and dash wiring harness connections. Plus you'll need the computer (located somewhere behind the glove box).

I'm not so sure I'd go through all this effort ;)

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
so i will need to change my tac hardware or switch it over seeing it as the parts car is a N/A, the speedo im not sure about its a N/A auto and diff on mine but the car had a gte swap, also is there a diffrence in the bell houseing from a N/A then a Bellhouseing from a Turbo, cause my lower support brackets wont line up

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Dan_Gyoba;973132 said:
The instrument cluster SHOULD be a direct drop-in, though if not, the individual instruments are. It's possible that there are different connections to the wire harness. I put a tach from an '87 into my '89 cluster, for example. (Mine is an NA cluster, and I dropped in a 7M-GTE, so I needed a different tach.)

It is a drop in, provided you don't need some of the extra stuff added on the newer gauges. (Like putting an 87 gauge cluster in a 92, you'd lose the airbag light, for example).

starscream5000;973146 said:
The speed will be off unless you match the little gear in your tranny to a later gear from the 89'+ along with the 3.70 rear end.

It will read the speed fine and as accurately as it would have on the original car it was from. Speedometers do not work that way.

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
what do you guys think of the pre 89 power stearing vs Progressive ?

is it worth the work ? time and money is not a problem here. word on the street is that you can feel the road alot better is this true ?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Right. The speedo will be fine. Leave the transmission/differential alone, or swap in both pieces from your turbo car, and it'll be fine. I checked mine (Though one was listed as rev/mile and one in rev/kilometer) and they were the same. The transmission gear goes with the intended differential, other than that, it should be fine. (You should check though, just in case.)