intake manifold polishing question

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
currently working on polishing my 1jz intake manifold and was just wondering what peoples feelings are on removing the casting rib on the top of the intake mani. Im just a little worried that its gunna weakin the manifold. I have seen a few with it ground down but I notice alot of people leave it. I think it would look much better with out it but I don't want to do it if its going to make the structure weak enough to make me worry.

before starting.
p1461966_1.jpg

1hr in of what I expect to take quite a few. and the rib that Im wanting to get rid of
p1461966_2.jpg

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
get rid of it,along with that stupid metal pipe.then shave the bolt hole's ,where the metal cross-over tube bolted too.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
1wickedA70;1462009 said:
how the hell did u make it look so pretty? i demand that u tell me at once..did u sand it or sumtin? loo

Really? lmao thats the whole basis of this thread he is in the process of polishing it of course he is sanding it.

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
well I just got home spent about 3 hrs on it so its looking fairly decent removed the rib. still deciding if I want to do away with the little metal piping mounts sure would clean it up but I dunno I think vacuum hoses dangling when I think of removing it. got a few more spots to hit and then it should be ready for some actual hand sanding with 1500-2000 ish grit and then finally some rubbing compound and polish.

So far all I have used is a 90 degree die grinder with a hell of alot of 2" scotch brite pads red and blue pads (red is a little more course) and a couple 24 grit ones to get the rib taken off; thankfully my work has them would hate to have to of bought as many as I went threw lol. will post some pics of the progress tomorrow, but I think it already looks way better then what Ive seen quite a few people pay to have done.

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
results from the few hours of work last night. Debating taking off all the mounting points that are kinda unnecessary still. What do you guys think should I get rid of all the mounting points? Going for the most blinged out factory 1jz mani here lol jk. still need 1500/2000 and compound/polish and we should be mirror status. I love the fact that you cant hide the effort and quality put into polishing a cast item like this.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i would leave the mounting point for the manifold stay.it also support's the dip stick tube.
i can't see keeping the other pipe for the vacume line's.you should be plugging the coolant port's on it anyway's.that is unless your going to drive it all winter in oregon.