intake air temp sensor

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Ok guys this seems so obvious... but I have to ask. I searched, Ive looked at wiring diagrams, even looked at a customers 90 7mgte car. WHAT IS UP with the intake air temp sensor? My engine is an 88, and the sensor is in my turbo inlet, which was copied from the stock one, and there isnt a wire to hook it up!! From what it looks like they went to having the temp sensor inside the maf in the newer cars?? because the 90 doesnt have it. Did I add it in the wrong place? Did I mix up the wiring with my thermostat?

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Somebody has added a aftermarket temp sensor to the turbo inlet
7mgte engines from 87-92 have the intake temp sensor inside the afm housing

My guess would be the IAT sensor inside afm went bad(common) so somebody tried to fix the problem
Instead of replacing the AFM they put an aftermarket IAT sensor in the turbo inlet
If it works then awesome. As long as resistance is the same as a factory IAT sensor then I think you will be fine

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
oh wow... okay thanks appreciate it. Now to figure out how its plugged in lol. Only codes Ive seen so far is a code 51 and 31 so dunno if thats related to this

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
It can be related:

31 Air Flow Meter Signal

Diagnosis

(7M-GE) Open circuit in VC signal or short circuit between VS and E2 when idle contacts are closed.
(7M-GTE) Open or short circuit in air flow meter signal.

Trouble Area

Air flow meter circuit
Air flow meter
ECU

As for code 51:

Did you have the AC engaged (button pushed in) when checking error codes ?
You must have it switched off before checking for codes.

Please fix the AFM error codes first :)

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
AC is long gone sir :)
I saw the descriptions of them and left it at that it was the later part of the day. I've just started workin out the bugs in this thing... ill have to check tps tho for 51, i get a cel while its running at idle, but not part throttle. Thanks for the help

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
May just need to adjust tps(sometimes help) for code 51
And for figuring out how it was plugged in. Simply put find a pinout for your yr ecu. Find THA pin(this will be feed back to the ecu from sensor)
Next(correct me if im wrong) you will need a 5v wire running to 1 pin of the IAT and your THA wire running to the other pin.
Then run THA wire back to ecu and solder to THA wire(or get a new pin and reclamp)
There should still be the old wire from the factory harness for the THA(depending on previous owners capability of not being a ghetto ass)

Just incase you dont know here's the TSRM(bible)
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=29

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
In the interest of accuracy a couple of things:

1) Code 31 will not be related to a fault in the air temp sensor circuit.

2) Unless the associated electronics were also removed deleting AC components will not prevent a 51.

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon