Int. high Idle...?

JAWS

Apr 12, 2006
Aurora, CO
When I start the car cold in the morning it idles at 1200. Sometimes it drops to normal, around 700 sometimes not during my 25 min. commute.
When I restart the car (warm) it will either idle at 1200 or 700. I made a bunch of stops on my way home from work Fri. and each time I restarted the car it was the other way from how it was when I stopped.
It seems to run rich, and MPG is down 3 or 4 from normal.

The only possible thing that I know of is a small crack in the intake elbow right before the throttle body.
:1zhelp:
Any trouble shooting tips are welcome.

88NA, 5speed, 190K

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
The car is supposed to idle higher when it's cold so it can get to operating temp faster. Once it's warm if it's idling high it could be any number of problems. Reset the ECU, drive it around a couple days and recheck the codes.

The low gas mileage may or may not be a separate problem. Fix that intake leak, it could be causing part of the problem. Heater valve shouldn't make too much of a difference, other then making the car take a little longer to warm up.

JAWS

Apr 12, 2006
Aurora, CO
What is the green EFI sensor?
Got a code 51, and the little leak in the intake hose is much worse then I expected. Right along one of the molding seams in the elbow that goes to the TBody there is a 3in crack!

JAWS

Apr 12, 2006
Aurora, CO
Fixed the hose and the TPS...which cleared the 51.
Still seems rich. I'll re-check the timing when I get it home.