Installing Lex/550/Walbro255...any words of wisdom?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Replace your fuel filter while your at it...........other than that, good luck. It's a piece of cake...........a real messy piece of cake though.

:yumyum: .......mmmmmmmm cake.

goliath

Fears no evil!
Mar 31, 2005
Lancaster, PA.
www.cardomain.com
Good to know.:thumbup: Is a stock filter ok, or should I upgrade it?

I'm on vacation this week and I've got a list of things as long as my leg to get finished on the car.:aigo:

Any thing else?:dunno:

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
i brand new stock filter is ok, thats what i used. Also if you have emissions, one thing i wish i did was when i installed the 550cc clips, i wish i left the 440cc clips installed and just spliced in the new clips. That way when emissions came around i could just drop back the 440cc's in if i was running super rich or something. Not necessary but food for thought.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
wear glasses when installing the fuel filter and working on the gas tank. otherwise you will get loads of dirt and tar in your eyes..... it hurts

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
Lubricate the injector grommets/o-rings when installing. Also may want to consider bypassing the J-tube and doing the 12V constant fuel resistor mod. The farther you go the more you will want to consider an AFPR, wideband and fuel tuning device. Let the games begin!

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
be very careful w/ the fuel lines by the tank. they bend very easily. best thing to use is a flare wrench.

another thing i would do while you have the afm out. drill out the factory plug over the adjusting screw. now you can adjust how much unmetered air comes thru. helpful in tuning and idle control.

lastly, another vote for removing the j-tube. ive seen several stock fpr's crap out running a walbro w/ the j-tube in place. or, just simply cannot flow enough and will get higher than desired fuel pressure.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Ya sounds like you need to add a jtube block off plate and a AFPR to that list of mods.

From experience. double check your wiring on the fuel pump and make sure you hear the wire harness *click* into place.

Solder and heat shrink your wiring

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Buy a new O ring Injector seal kit from napa. Take your time. Have access to a line flare tool and fittings. I know the many supras I have done this mod to: over half have had the fuel lines on the tank snap off. :-(

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
I have a follow up question to the original.
Assuming everything is done correctly, and the new pump, injectors and afm are installed, is there anything you need to do tuning wise right after the install? Or is it like, remove, replace, go drive.

goliath

Fears no evil!
Mar 31, 2005
Lancaster, PA.
www.cardomain.com
So far after 7.5 hours:

Lex AFM is changed out
New injectors are in
New clips are wired and sealed
AFPR is mounted and conected
J-tub block off is done
Pulled the coil/wires and plugs cleaned valley w/cleaner and wiped clean
Glass beaded the plugs(look brand new)
Plugs went back in

Waiting on fuel supply line from Driftmotion. Thanks Aaron!:bigthumb:

Tomorrow:

Fuel pump
pump rewire
Guages-A/F-boost-volt
Boost controler

Considering that this is the most involved engine work I've ever done. I thought I accomplished quit a bit today, by myself.:naughty: