installing intercooler?

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
i remember a thread on here about how people set up their ic but i couldnt find it so if anyone can give me the link, it will be great or else how do you guys hook up the ic? i got a great deal on a brand new ebay style ic and i just cant figure out how to install it. i guess going from behind the support bar will be a better idea but how about the mount location? any other modd to make it fit? thanks. lend some info..:icon_bigg

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Im running 2.5 inch pipe and the driftmotion kit.. All fits good except the lower pipe is a little tight and if you don't tie it up it will rub the steering rack dampener.. Mine did that so I had my brother make me a much better fitting custom pipe all tig welded up 1 piece to get rid of that 45 degree coupler.

You do not have to cut the whole in the fender bigger for the 2.5 inch pipe

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Here is how I mounted mine, But Im sure others will mount it more forward and take the grill out so you can see your cool front mount because thats the cool thing.. :nono: But I decided to keep my Bumper and everything in tact so I mounted it behind the bumper support. I had to remove the hood latch support and remount the A/C outside air temp sensor and horns.

This is the driftmotion kit

The simple bars I made for mounting on the bottom, literally took 5 min to make the two bottom and the top one..

p1672967_1.jpg

p1672967_2.jpg

Horn mount, Easy took another 2 min to make

p1672967_3.jpg

2.5 inch piping through the stock hole in the fender

p1672967_4.jpg

Sleeper status front mount.. But the safest as I kept my crash bar

p1672967_5.jpg

Overall mounting

p1672967_6.jpg

p1672967_7.jpg

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
Devin LeBlanc;1672961 said:
Im running 2.5 inch pipe and the driftmotion kit.. All fits good except the lower pipe is a little tight and if you don't tie it up it will rub the steering rack dampener.. Mine did that so I had my brother make me a much better fitting custom pipe all tig welded up 1 piece to get rid of that 45 degree coupler.

You do not have to cut the whole in the fender bigger for the 2.5 inch pipe

thank you very much..that really help out..also, how did you or others relocate the hood latch? that might be my only problem.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Also wondering on the hood latch support, don't have to worry about A/C. Something I was hoping one of you fine people would be able to supply a picture of the hot pipe coming off the turbo, I'm gonna be doing my own piping so something to go off would be nice. Both off car and on would be appreciated if you can. Thanks

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Mynes_3;1673162 said:
thank you very much..that really help out..also, how did you or others relocate the hood latch? that might be my only problem.

Im going to take pictures of mine for you. Our i/c's are very close to the same size and i didnt relocate mine.

Ok this first picture isnt the best angle, but what has been done here is the big support bracket for the hood latch has been trimmed from its regular giant triangle shape.
p1673180_1.jpg

This is so you can see how much it has been trimmed, and how close the I/C fits to it. This photo also shows how "steady" my hand is when cutting a straight line
p1673180_2.jpg

Mounting the top was done with some simple small lengths of steel, painted black.
p1673180_3.jpg

As for the bottom, the same basic short lenghts of steel system was used. Both sides are exactly the same. Just to hard to get both in a detailed shot from the garage floor.
p1673180_4.jpg

Now I dont know if this next picture will help at all because I've gone 1J. But this is how my pipes have been plumbed. Obviously it will be different for you if your 7M, unless you go FFIM
p1673180_5.jpg

So that this:
p1673180_6.jpg

Tucks up real nicely to look like this:
p1673180_7.jpg

I like my giant intercooler to be hidden. Im all about the simple, close to stock look.
p1673180_8.jpg

Tough to tell there is a large intercooler hiding behind that bumper, isnt it?

Now I hope this as helped, also you should note that I have removed my a/c. But I feel very confident that a a/c condenser would still fit in my set up, its just been a while since Ive though about the condenser and i/c in my car at the same time.

Last edited:

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
^^^ still running the support bar right? lol..nice detail. thanks for your time.i dont care much for ac even though im in ca..this is not my daily so i dont really need it.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
Jayhall;1673180 said:
Im going to take pictures of mine for you. Our i/c's are very close to the same size and i didnt relocate mine.

Ok this first picture isnt the best angle, but what has been done here is the big support bracket for the hood latch has been trimmed from its regular giant triangle shape.
p1673329_1.jpg

This is so you can see how much it has been trimmed, and how close the I/C fits to it. This photo also shows how "steady" my hand is when cutting a straight line
p1673329_2.jpg

Mounting the top was done with some simple small lengths of steel, painted black.
p1673329_3.jpg

As for the bottom, the same basic short lenghts of steel system was used. Both sides are exactly the same. Just to hard to get both in a detailed shot from the garage floor.
p1673329_4.jpg

Now I dont know if this next picture will help at all because I've gone 1J. But this is how my pipes have been plumbed. Obviously it will be different for you if your 7M, unless you go FFIM
p1673329_5.jpg

So that this:
p1673329_6.jpg

Tucks up real nicely to look like this:
p1673329_7.jpg

I like my giant intercooler to be hidden. Im all about the simple, close to stock look.
p1673329_8.jpg

Tough to tell there is a large intercooler hiding behind that bumper, isnt it?

Now I hope this as helped, also you should note that I have removed my a/c. But I feel very confident that a a/c condenser would still fit in my set up, its just been a while since Ive though about the condenser and i/c in my car at the same time.

I know that's not a NOS bottle catch can in the second pic. lol

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
spikesnstuff0905;1673329 said:
I know that's not a NOS bottle catch can in the second pic. lol

yep it sure is. I might put a new one in when I move the battery to the trunk. But on the other hand this one hasnt given me any problems yet

An Mynes yes, still running the support bar. Its the only thing saving my ass in an accident. I had a similar sized intercooler on my 86.5 and this happened:
p1673432_1.jpg

if i didnt have the crash bar in I probably would have died in that accident. Anyone who takes their crash bar out to make room for an intercooler if a fool IMO

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
Wow. Thats one bad crash. Lucky your alive. But thanks for the info. Also, how do i take off the front bumper? Lol. Step by step please.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its not that hard. Fogs comer out, grilles come out. Bolts at the fender liners on the bumper come off. There bolts inside the bumper on the sides. remove the turn signals. Theres nuts behind the bumper.

Basically remove pull ifg it doesnt come off look some more. Once all the bolts are removed if you pull the whole thing will fall off. Its a 1-2 out of 10 job not hard at all just takes eyes and patience.