Insert catchy rod-knock title here. ;)

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
I got a serious knock from the back of my block. I think it's the upper end of #4 or 5. Anyways, The 7m is almost out. I was originally going to rebuild, but a friend of mine sparked a different idea in my mind. He basically shunned me for thinking of rebuilding this motor. He suggested just buying another 7m from the junkyard, or a part out, and throwing it in. My thoughts are that i would be obtaining a new motor with unseen problems, whereas i know what is wrong with mine. My question is this, and is merely speculation and debatable opinion: should i rebuild my 7m, buy a junkyard 7m, try to find a 1 or 2j in decent shape, or go 1uz. The V8 swap has actually captivated my mind, but i can't find any decent write ups or parts list for the swap, and have no idea what it will cost me. I can get a 1uz from an SC400 in the junkyard for around $300. What else would i need for the swap? Would i need a different driveshaft, bellhousing, trans mount, etc? Thanks. If i could just get a link to a good write up i don't mind reading. No need to waste your time on little old me. lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
&m in junkyard is a guess, 1jz is a guess, 2jz is more expensive and less of a guess/ not really a guess. uz is about the same as 2jz. 2jz is more expensive. 1jz is cheaper tho it kinda explains someone to a certain point. 2jz is and always will be king of straight 6. But you need cash. Uz is still money and it makes less than the 1jz.

Its up to you. Why did your 7m knock? Rod knock is not common on 7m other than user error. Beyond common speculation. rk happens cause of a reason not cause the motor. so your motor has a reason.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
spikesnstuff0905;1676405 said:
1uz. The V8 swap has actually captivated my mind, but i can't find any decent write ups or parts list for the swap,

I am going to link to another site, and forums don't generaly like it. But they are not competitive against this board, so I don't think they will mind.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/index.php

People do dumb things to be different. Do something smart. It isn't the easiest thing, but it can be done. You will like the instant throttle response and power curve of the engine.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
The oil return line to my block cracked an i lost oil pressure. I coasted off the free way and by the time i was off the exit ramp it was ticking. By then it was too late to do anything about it, so i just drove home. It was a serious clak by the time i got there. ~3miles. The 1uz makes as much power as the 7m does, but i don't have to worry about the turbo blowing up on me, unless i decide to go NA-T down the line.
Thanks for the link.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
just buy my car and strip out all the good stuff ;)

If I can find somewhere to store it I might part it out, maybe fix the clearance issue on the motor or sell it as is. Would rather sell it whole and just be done with it as I need to focus on my other supra now. I'll keep you posted if you are interested.