Injector question

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Might seem like a crazy question but anyway....the supra comes turbo from the factory with 440 injectors. why is it that it seems like the limit of these injectors are 300hp? i mean everyone is so quick to upgrade to 550s when they only running like 350whp max. i read that the stock ic is good to 400hps. so what kind of "turbo motor" is the 7mgte if as soon as u do a couple of upgrades u have to get 550s? the 1jz, which i know is a 2.5 liter has smaller injectors than the 7mgte and comes with more power stock. when upgrading a 1jz and there is a need for more fuel, the same 440s are used. why is this?

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey man i hear you on that one, i wanted to keep my 440's and install my Lexus afm with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, i was told no a few times over. I may still be wrong on that, but i dont see why you cant use them, oh well.

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i just dont get how the stock injectors in a turbo motor has to get shelved after a couple of upgrades and boost bumpage. Like the stock ic, which i stated is capable of handling up 2 400hp, i wonder if its cuz no one is willing to try it and it doesnt look as good as a shiny front mount.

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
A friend of mine in the area has stock inj and a stock IC and he just put down 350rw tq at a dyno on 13-14psi. So the stock system can do it, i guess people like buying new stuff and it all being shiny like you said.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I'll only address a couple of your questions.

The lexus AFM allows for 25% more air flow. 550cc injectors are 25% more fuel over the 440's. This keeps the afr's/fuel curve where they should be.

300hp is not the limit of 440's. Do some research on the duty cycle of injectors and how to calculate it.

Don't forget that your 440's are old. Does one REALLY want to push old injectors in a high horsepower condition? Not me!

The stock intercooler does a fine job! It usually gets upgraded for a few reasons though. 1) More cooler air. 2) To match a hard pipe kit diameter. 3) The bling factor. We all like the bling. :D

There is a lot of info out there on this stuff and many factors come in to play. www.mkiiitech.com is a great source! It's full of technical information without having to wade through TONS of threads, posts, and the all too often mis-information given here.

And no! I'm not knocking SM. I love it! mkiiitech.com is just straight to the data. That's a good thing!

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I personally dont consider my goal of 350whp high horsepower. I guess thats what its all about; goals. Honestly are there any new innovations or upgrades for the 7mgte? No. So we gotta suck it up use whats out there or go with the crowd favorites the JZs.