injector 1&4 not firing after 550 upgrade.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
hey guys, this has been driving me nuts for the last two days.
my car is a 88 7mgte,it's in a 85 shell. run's maft pro and has run flawless for the last 3 months with this setup and the motor has ran with out a hicup in my 88n/a shell and my 87 turbo shell.

i upgraded the injector's on saterday, and when i finished and started the car sunday it ran rough.
we did a cylinder power balence test, by removing the spark plugs one at a time. this showed we had great spark to all cylinders and that 1 and 4 were not getting fuel.

looking into the matter a little closer reveals cylinders 1&4 are on the same power and ground circuit. no10.

i have tested continuity from the injector clip to the ecu, good.
i have tested continuity from the resistor pack to the injector clip, good.

the injectors i am using at purple top rx7 injectors and are low impedence 2.4ohms.

i have tested my resistor pack, b+ to terminal no10,no20,no30. 3.4ohms,3.6,3.4ohms

with key on i have 12 volt power at the injector, resistor pack and at the ecu on .no10,no20,no30.

what tosses me for a curve ball, if i switch injector clip from cylinder 2, onto cylinder 1 , cylinder one fire's, so injector's are good.
so now im looking at the ecu, so i swap in a known good ecu from a car that drove up and drove out running fine.
and the problem was still there.
my buddie with the spare ecu will be coming back over tonight and im going to try some more test's with his ecu in my car and mine in his.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
figured it out last night, turn's out when i put heat shrink on the wire's for injector 4, there was a point to the solder that poked through into the other heat shrinked wire,

probally wouldn't have happened if i hadn't heat shinked both wire's together after the initial heat shrinking.
the second application of heat shrink tubing has been removed from all wire's for the injector's and i have electical taped them back together.

car run's tit's now, and i'll be installing my boost controller and going back to the dyno soon!