Im new to the supras and need some help

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
Im in the middle of my build so please excuse my ignorance Ive got a few questions.

89 7mgte block
arp main studs
arp head studs
upgraded oil pump/return
eagle rods
probe.040 pistons
crane cams springs
ported stock head
q45 TB
lexAFM
550 injectors
ffim
IC

So far this is were Im @ in my build Im picking up my short block this week
so heres my question.

1. If I get my ct26 rebuilt to a 57 trim what kind of horsepower should expect. (My goal is 450+)

2. What will I need as far as electronics for my ecu I would like suggestions for a perfect Piggy back setup so I can start acquireing them.

3. Anything else anyone can fill me in on would be greatly appreciated.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
That sounds like a great start to a perfectly streetable car. Their is a piggyback section on here somewhere and numerous threads about the upgraded ct26 turbos. I don't know the answer to your questions or I would have answered them.

I used an SAFCII for a little over a year and I made 437rwhp on my 7mgte, but I wouldn't say that it was the perfect answer. Good luck.

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
If you're talking 450+ in crank hp, then that should be attainable. 450rwhp is a little high for a 57trim. I'm putting down 377rwhp and 400rwtq with a 57 trim at 15psi. Good luck with your build. SAFC-II is what I'm using, but I will say it's far from the perfect answer. SAFC's are a crude tuning tool that works, but it definately has it's flaws.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
with that money you already have tied into the motor and intake I'd recomend going with a standalone computer.....and I wouldn't waist $500 on an upgraded ct at this point have you considered a different turbo and external waistgate? It would be a shame to blow a nice built motor cause of inferior tuneing devices...so far it sounds like you could hit more hp with just a bit more money.

The ct and piggyback sounds like two issues that would hold you back from a great build

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
consider upgradeing the oil cooling system....you'll want to do a walboro fuel pump.....aftermarket fuel pressure regulator...12v fuel pump mod....you may like an oilfilter relocation kit also....and a steel headgasket.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
damn, very good start for some that is a noob, you have a better start than some of us that 's been at it for a while good going!

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
gaboonviper85;1183996 said:
with that money you already have tied into the motor and intake I'd recomend going with a standalone computer.....and I wouldn't waist $500 on an upgraded ct at this point have you considered a different turbo and external waistgate? It would be a shame to blow a nice built motor cause of inferior tuneing devices...so far it sounds like you could hit more hp with just a bit more money.

The ct and piggyback sounds like two issues that would hold you back from a great build

Yeah, I see your point. I was looking into the Stinger $900.00 compared to the $1800.00 AEM plus another $1000.00 in parts but Im not much on the ins and out of the tuneing end of it. Im worried that I'll blow my motor or something and theres no one around here that knows anything much about tuning as far as I can tell. Any thoughts on another turbo set up that would give me 450+hp to the rear wheels.

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
gaboonviper85;1183997 said:
consider upgradeing the oil cooling system....you'll want to do a walboro fuel pump.....aftermarket fuel pressure regulator...12v fuel pump mod....you may like an oilfilter relocation kit also....and a steel headgasket.

Yeah, these are all in the works Im moving so all the build funds are used up right now.

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
Koenigturbo;1184079 said:
damn, very good start for some that is a noob, you have a better start than some of us that 's been at it for a while good going!

LOL... Yeah Ive actually been doing alot of studying on the ins and outs of the supra for a while. I just havent been able to do much until recently when I stumbled on my parts car and then my GE-DD that will be the donor for my turbo motor. Thanks though Its good to know I thought I was behind.

Rodney

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Hey Champ. If you look beside the reply button, there is a "+, if you'll click that on every post you want to respond to, it'll put them all in one box like this.
champscl;1184109 said:
Yeah, I see your point. I was looking into the Stinger $900.00 compared to the $1800.00 AEM plus another $1000.00 in parts but Im not much on the ins and out of the tuneing end of it. Im worried that I'll blow my motor or something and theres no one around here that knows anything much about tuning as far as I can tell. Any thoughts on another turbo set up that would give me 450+hp to the rear wheels.

champscl;1184110 said:
Yeah, these are all in the works Im moving so all the build funds are used up right now.

champscl;1184111 said:
LOL... Yeah Ive actually been doing alot of studying on the ins and outs of the supra for a while. I just havent been able to do much until recently when I stumbled on my parts car and then my GE-DD that will be the donor for my turbo motor. Thanks though Its good to know I thought I was behind.

Rodney

The Stinger is a good choice in my opinion. That's what I have, and it isn't hard to learn how to tune them either. Their is a Stinger thread on here where people post their tunes. You should be able to find one very similar to your build, download it onto your stinger and then just make fine tuning adjustments to fit your climate, car or whatever. Good luck.

PS: you click "+, and then "+ for the next one, and then on the last one, you click the reply button.

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
suprahero;1184134 said:
Hey Champ. If you look beside the reply button, there is a "+, if you'll click that on every post you want to respond to, it'll put them all in one box like this.

The Stinger is a good choice in my opinion. That's what I have, and it isn't hard to learn how to tune them either. Their is a Stinger thread on here where people post their tunes. You should be able to find one very similar to your build, download it onto your stinger and then just make fine tuning adjustments to fit your climate, car or whatever. Good luck.

PS: you click "+, and then "+ for the next one, and then on the last one, you click the reply button.

OHHHH... thats what that button was for lol... thanks for the help....

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to get the Stinger. As far as funds go and performance I cant go wrong. Atleast I dont think so..thanks again

Champ...thats what they call my Dad it works for me though.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
champscl;1184109 said:

keep in mind the stinger isn't plug and play....it requires a wire harness which driftmotion sells for a pretty penny....stinger plus harness is just over $1000...the aem plugs into the stock toyota harness....so really it's about even in price...as far as a turbo goes, look in the turbo section and read what others are useing and make the choice.