Im an idiot - Transmission issues :D

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
Hey Guys,

so i tried to re-apply some FIPG on the transmission so i had to completely disassemble which i did according to the TSRM problem is...now that i have it back together (unbolted for the most part because of somthing like this) i can move the shifter back and forth but not up or down. so its not engaging any gears. im fairly certain that all of those annoying little bearing balls are where they should be (i don't see any on the floor and i have had the thing sitting horizontal the majority of the time. i think the only one that fell out was put back in and that was the one by the shifter.

any clues? any ideas? i probably don;t have it in the right place but i don't know....

newbie mistake...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Make sure the shifter lever is properly seated in the shift shaft gates, its a tricky process to get it together properly on the first try. Also check to make sure the reverse shift shaft isn't engaged- pull the reverse light switch out and see if the ramp is up- if it is, you need to pry the shaft back so the ramp is low. That's what happened to me and it engaged the lockout pins in such a way that shifting was impossible x.x

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It isnt assembled correctly. The shift interlock system is not allowing movement to prevent damage. Of course, I didnt see you reassemble.

Last edited:

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
toyotanos;1871020 said:
Make sure the shifter lever is properly seated in the shift shaft gates, its a tricky process to get it together properly on the first try. Also check to make sure the reverse shift shaft isn't engaged- pull the reverse light switch out and see if the ramp is up- if it is, you need to pry the shaft back so the ramp is low. That's what happened to me and it engaged the lockout pins in such a way that shifting was impossible x.x

i have a feeling this is what it is, the shift gate is what the shift leaver sits in its kind of a grove between a few shafts right? ill take pictures tonight or tomorrow morning when i get a chance to take a crack at this again. i know i didn't touch ANY of the gearing when i took the other side off....i am POSITIVE. unless some freak thing decided to move when i took off the housing. :)

This is the last time tweedle dee touches a transmission ill just have the experts do it next time LOL

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you have an extra ball?

Is the spring and ball on the extension housing there? Have to remove the torx plug to remove them. It will fall out if you didnt remove it prior to removing the extension housing.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
no, i made sure that there were no balls laying around. the one that did fall out i put back in. the rest of em stayed in their place...i can verify i just need to remove the torx right? they shouldn't fall out if i were to say open that up...

Edit: the one that did fall out i opened that one up and the spring was thre the ball wasn't thats what i mean by putting the ball back in its place lol. sorry.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
bumpan

can anyone tell me where i would find this reverse shift light is? is that the sensor? :cool: im gonna be a transmission expert when im done with this.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Its the only 27mm hex with 2 wires coming out of it. Reverse light switch is the name if you have access to a manual. TBH I wouldn't go into a transmission unless I had a comprehensive repair manual for these kind of situations. Too much stuff inside that can go awry. :(

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
yeah, lesson learned. Matthew must think before he repairs things he doesn't understand! Engines? no prob...transmissions? i always wanted to learn them...but i didn't figure it would be this tedious. so simplistic looking yet so complex.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Easiest thing you can do at this point is to find a factory repair manual and go over everything you've done, comparing to the manual as you go, hopefully something stands out as you go through the procedures!

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
i figured it out...the bell housing keeps engaging a gear when we put it down LOL! it's usually the idler reverse gear. wtf? must be a special way of putting on this bell housing...or i just keep hitting an area that keeps engaging it.