Ignition Problems

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
A few problems with my 1j-

1) The B+ Circuit with key to "On" gets ~1.25-1.5v. If I remove the EFI main relay and jump it, i get 12v at all key positions (obviously). What would cause the ignition circuit to trip the EFI relay, but only put out 1.25v? Is the relay even being activated? (Tried this with two brand new relays, so unless my luck is that bad its not the relay)

2) Starter doesn't click. The starter relay clicks away, but nothing gets sent to the starter upon key turn. This is happens in both cases with the EFI relay in place, and hotwired.

--

Its pretty obvious there's a problem with my ignition circuit somewhere. Would a faulty ECU cause this? Any suggestions on where to start to trace down what the problem is? I'm a little perplexed as where to begin.:1zhelp:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
speed said:
A few problems with my 1j-

1) The B+ Circuit with key to "On" gets ~1.25-1.5v. If I remove the EFI main relay and jump it, i get 12v at all key positions (obviously). What would cause the ignition circuit to trip the EFI relay, but only put out 1.25v? Is the relay even being activated? (Tried this with two brand new relays, so unless my luck is that bad its not the relay)

2) Starter doesn't click. The starter relay clicks away, but nothing gets sent to the starter upon key turn. This is happens in both cases with the EFI relay in place, and hotwired.

--

Its pretty obvious there's a problem with my ignition circuit somewhere. Would a faulty ECU cause this? Any suggestions on where to start to trace down what the problem is? I'm a little perplexed as where to begin.:1zhelp:

The EFI main relay problem could be caused by the ECU not outputting any voltage to the EFI main relay, I've seen that happen several times, the driver in the ECU fails. Check the black/orange (M-REL) wire for 12v when the ignition is on. A quick fix is to cut the black/orange (M-REL) wire from the ECU and splice it into the grey (IGSW) wire.

Starter problem could be a bad keyswitch. Check the black/white wire under the dash for voltage with the key in the start/crank position.

Last edited:

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
bigaaron;874203 said:
The EFI main relay problem could be caused by the ECU not outputting any voltage to the EFI main relay, I've seen that happen several times, the driver in the ECU fails. Check the black/orange (M-REL) wire for 12v when the ignition is on. A quick fix is to cut the black/orange (M-REL) wire from the ECU and splice it into the grey (IGSW) wire.

Starter problem could be a bad keyswitch. Check the black/white wire under the dash for voltage with the key in the start/crank position.

Thanks for the reply!

Well I went to go check IGSW... and it had come out of B1. Plugged it back in, and got CEL, as well as full voltage at the check connector.

Still having a problem with the starter though, the keyswitch to "start" does send voltage through the b-w wire under the dash, the starter relay clicks, but nothing. Pull out the starter and open 'er up?

Also, the CEL lights up and stays on.. which plugs do I jump on the check conn to see codes?