Ignition lock removal help

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
Ok I searched the forum's and could not find enough info on this

I can't figure out how to remove the cylinder lock

I have taken off the plastic casing behind the steering wheel but I have not removed the steering wheel....I'm hoping I don't have to???

I took off a tiny screw closest to the steering wheel
I push in the little pin on the top and the cylinder lock does not come out
What am I missing?? What am I doing wrong here?

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
I had the dealership make me a key from the key code on the passenger door lock cylinder they did a really shitty job and it did not work

I called a lock smith and paid him $65 dollars to tell me I need a new cylinder lock

So I ordered a new one and the old one I can't seem to remove

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Had the same problem but only had to move the car.(steering wheel locked) Those locks are pretty damn tough. We tried hammering all sorts of screwdrivers in there but it wouldnt budge. We did find the lock for the wheel but still couldnt bust the ign lock. Good luck with that. Im also no car thief so...

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
without damaging the rest of the colom so it can be replaced, is drill into the lock use a small bit then go slightly bigger. once the pins are drilled out or fall out, use a hook pick to pull them out if there not all the way out. a flat blade should be able to move it to the accessory position and remove as normal. its easy on a gm with a single sided key, but you will have to drill top and bottom, as i think its a dual cylinder

best bet is also remove it from the car, so you dont get all the fillings in the car, and can shake it so the brass pins fall out

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
bioskyline;1662857 said:
without damaging the rest of the colom so it can be replaced, is drill into the lock use a small bit then go slightly bigger. once the pins are drilled out or fall out, use a hook pick to pull them out if there not all the way out. a flat blade should be able to move it to the accessory position and remove as normal. its easy on a gm with a single sided key, but you will have to drill top and bottom, as i think its a dual cylinder

best bet is also remove it from the car, so you dont get all the fillings in the car, and can shake it so the brass pins fall out

lol wow I have to drill it out.....Japanese cars are always over kill....Not that I'm complaining

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you havent already drilled i would try filling down the key so its "worn". Sorry didnt think of that earlier.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
well drilling it is the gentle way. a slide hammer sometime will get it out, or you can melt it out with a torch. but the slide hammer and torch normal mean the column is fubared afterwards.