+IGNITER GROUND... crispics

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
p729762_1.jpg

^^^ First, an honorary dedication of this thread to the post by jetjock above...

I believe my circuit suffers from the effects of being on "pot", or some such thing... so I decided to sober it up.:hsugh:

p729762_2.jpg

^^^ The little "monolith of motivation"... giver of spark.

p729762_3.jpg

...pulled the couplers, bracket bolts, and removed the four screws to the cover...

then laid out the tools I thought I might use for the job.:biglaugh:

(The MGD was an absolute necessity... although the Guinness is a more frequent facilitator...:beer: )

p729762_4.jpg

Cleaned up the case housing on both surfaces with a combination of mill file and fine sandpaper... cleaning the surfaces with CRC contact cleaner after the "dust" had settled.

p729762_5.jpg

Carefully "lifted" the leads... to expose the described (by jetjock) ground screwed to the upper case lid.

(Be extra careful here... as the HEAT over TIME may have caused your casing to become BRITTLE!:icon_surp )

p729762_6.jpg

...here is a closer shot of the screw and ground lead coming out of the igniter circuit. You can SEE some "cracks" in the casing of the wires if you look closely!:aigo: )

p729762_7.jpg

^^^ I connected a ring terminal with ground lead wire...

p729762_8.jpg

...and ran it through one of the drain holes in the bottom of the igniter case... then screwed in the four machine screws.

p729762_9.jpg

I re-attached everything with the ground running directly to a lead into the negative battery terminal spur that also grounds to the body.

Very pleased with the result. Thank you for the tutorial commentary, jj.;)

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
crrider80 said:

YES!

My circuitry and other components are fairly "well maintained" and in pretty good condition... but there WAS small amounts of "whitish crust" from mild oxidization on various contact surfaces... like the mounting brackets (x2 at multiple points) and the igniter case as well.

I have had an "annoying" low rpm MISS that has bugged me for awhile now... and although there is STILL a VERY SMALL "BLIP" now... the EXTENT and FREQUENCY of that miss is MUCH LESS since I did this mod!!!

(I didn't expect ANY noticable change... so an IDLE that is SMOOTHER was a pleasant surprise!)

My recommendation is:

SIMPLE MOD

...worth the hour or so of effort!;)

Now I have to find any OTHER grounding areas that could use a little improvement... hmmmm... that OXYGEN SENSOR ground suggestion looks EASIER STILL!:icon_bigg

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
...I'd also like to add a comment on the principles of INCREMENTALISM...

RARELY is there such a thing as the WONDER MOD... one that is SOOOO RADICAL by ITSELF that you notice HUUUUGE results from ONE SINGLE CHANGE point. The TRUE SPIRIT of CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT or "KAIZEN" (Japanese term for "change/better", or the fundamental methodology of incremental changes cumulatively combining into a nexus of overall improvement that is substantial) involves DOING those LITTLE things that by themselves appear inconsequential... but when all the little things are combined together, you are rewarded with a "WHOLISTIC RAISING OF THE BAR" that can be dramatic in effect.

...or... you can "pass" on the mod and "suffer" the cumulative NEGATIVE effects of all those MANY small opportunities that are passing you by.

JUST DO IT!:naughty:

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
isnms: YES! HELP!:biglaugh:

all... thank you.

Enjoyed the quick little project... it was very little overall effort, and a sound suggestion by jetjock as well.:icon_bigg

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
Well, this afternoon... I completed the suggested grounding from jetjock's original post.

I added "jumpers" from the block to the body and the oxygen sensor to the body. Dark at the moment... maybe a pic later.

-crisp

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i did this a few weeks back when i relocated my fuse box, ignitor, etc... and extended all the wires so it's all hidden. the car doesn't run, and it never really had a miss, but it's good preventative maintenance as far as i'm concerned.

nice writeup- i also followed JJ's post. :)

-shaeff

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
Jo3f1sh said:
Just finished doing this. VERY simple to do and noticed a bit smoother idle as well. Thanks for the idea!

GOOD to hear! Thanks for the comments. (jetjock's post was the source for the "how-to".:icon_wink )

-crisp

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Huh..thats pretty neat Nashman...I grounded my ignitor,coilpacks and o2 sensor and it deffinatley idles better now. Seems to rev a little better now as well. Good upgrade for being basically free!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
An interesting point to note is that the 2JZ provides ground wires for the O2 sensor and ignitor instead of relying on the bracketry like they did with the 7M. There must have been a reason for that. I'm pretty sure "it couldn't hurt" wasn't it :)

SupraBro

when i built my motor i went through all my grounds and regrounded everything with rockford fosgate wires...i install car audio for a living so i had a bunch laying around...here is my question...do you have to go to the batt. i mean if you take your meter and put it on ohm's and put one end on neg side of batt and the other end to the spot you put the wire and it reads 0 that should be fine aswell right...or is it just better to go to the batt for some reason???? i just dont like a bunch of wires on the batt,...im just pickey fo some reason.....CALLING JETJOCK.....lol

momodragon

Jun 19, 2010
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi ppl
Can you give guide lines on who to wire the coil packs ? I see 3 coils 2 wire each 3 plugs then 1 plug with 4 wire i assume 1 bigger wire is ground do i ground this or what ? What is daisy chain some one mentioned above ?

Thx guys

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
NashMan;809144 said:
well at work today was goofing around with my car and then i thought of this thread so popped it on the dyno to see if this grounding thing works.

test 1 just ground the coil pack plate did like 1 hp
test 2 daisy chain coil packs 3 hp
test 3 igniter ground total of 7 hp

tried o2 ground nothing as thought it would

so there you go

but if your car was new the gains would be less

p.s.- my igniter was not grounded very well to begin with to my standards

Do you mean besides the little ground wire that goes from the coil pack plate to the fuel rail stud? And how did you do the coil packs?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i just grounded them because the old wire was busted not many stand holding it together, it was more of fix up thing if any thing

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
NashMan;1831358 said:
i just grounded them because the old wire was busted not many stand holding it together, it was more of fix up thing if any thing

Ahh okay I gotcha. I made a new ground strap today for the coil pack plate to replace my fraying original one. I then considered making another strap and daisy chaining that fuel rail stud to, say, those ecu grounds on the intake manifold. Any thoughts?