Idle Going up and down

chopstickz

Dec 3, 2005
SoCal
Hi, first of all my idle is usually around 1100. Out of the blue it decides to idle higher around 1700. Now it starts to go up and down from 1100-1700. and it really pisses me off! does anybody know why it would do this out of the blue? sometimes it would jus be fine.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
vaccum leak, bad TPS sensor.... try checking your ECU codes (even if the light isn't on, there still may be something there)

for vaccum leak, spray carb cleaner around suspected hoses, areas while engine is running. If the idle levels out you've found the leak.

try pulling the TPS while the engine is running, see if the idle smoothes out (will rev high, but stay at that rpm)

chopstickz

Dec 3, 2005
SoCal
yea when i pull the TPS plug the idle goes up pretty high, 3krpm. i have a 89 NA. So i spray carb cleaner around the hoses. I'll try that in a few minutes! Thanks

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
If you pulled the TPS and the idle went high and stayed normal, I can almost bet the TPS is the culprit... it's either bad or out of adjustment.. try pulling ECU codes and get out a voltmeter if you have one to see if the TPS is bad.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
previous owner had one sitting in the glove box when I bought my car hehe, had dyno results written onto the inside of the front cover!

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
not me! haha... ya it would have been nice to get my car for a grad gift... but ya know... I would rather save the money and buy it myself than not have it at all right?

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
haha ya same here... always heard about em, always knew about the celica supras (kinda didnt like the look of em)... and when I was lookin for a car my buddy said, hey why not look into getting a supra... read about them ,read about them, read about them... bought one.

chopstickz

Dec 3, 2005
SoCal
yeah, i didn't really care for mk3's it was all about the mk4s.. until i got this car from my uncle for free. then i grew some love for it. anyways! i think i fixed it somehow?? I'm not sure what I did but i fixed it so far.

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
yeah same here, im getting mine from my aunt. wierd story actually. it was originally my dads cousins car. she was looking into buying a nissan but my dad told her to get the supra, she bought it and then sold it to my god mother, who is now going to give it to me. but i do remember being younger and sitting in that supra...crazy

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I'm getting the car officially in a year, as soon as I turn 18(goddamn laws of my country) for good marks in school and like for graduating. This is my dads car, and cause he doesn't drive it anymore and you can't sell it with a price that was invested in it... Actually I didn't even really care of it (though liked it) until like this year.