ide problem and three diff codes

Oct 1, 2007
Chicago, Il
When my car sits there idling after i start it, it idles from 800rpm to about 2500 before it drops down quick and does it again, im also getting three diff codes when i do the diagnostic with the speaker wire, 24,32, and 41. can anyone tell me what i can do to fix this problem

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ummm...code 41 is the VTA signal from the TPS...indicates a problem with the TPS or it's wiring. Code 32 is the HAC sensor for the 7M-GTE...on 87'-'88 models (yellow plug ECU) the HAC is external and is close to it under the glove box...on later models (grey plug ECU) the HAC is inside the ECU. On the 7M-GE a code 32 is the AFM (vane type). Hvyman - read the notes ;)

Red - you need to fix the TPS or it's circuit. Codes 32 and 41 are not related.

Oct 1, 2007
Chicago, Il
hmmm that's weird cause when i checked it with the oms reader the tps was working good, but then i guess it could be the wiring, thanks for all the help, now i just have to figure out how to fix it. What is the easiest way to do it and is there a diagram of all the wires

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I was just at his house today, the idle is surging between 1500-2500 rpms at idle. Open the throttle, and the revs will increase. If you pump the peddle a few times, it is non-responsive, the revs drop, and almost stalls out.

Checked the resistance of the Throttle Position Sensor at 0mm open and at .5mm open, and the resistance is far out of TSRM spec. At 0mm open there was a resistance of 6.xx ohms, and at .5mm open it ready over 20 ohms of resistance.

AFM's resistance is in TSRM spec. ISCV resistances are within TSRM spec.

I also swapped out OP's ECU with a good known-working 87-88 7mgt m/t ecu, and did not fix the issue.

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
That's what I thought it was jdub, just wanted a second opinion on it before I tell him he needs a new one.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I was just at his house today, the idle is surging between 1500-2500 rpms at idle. Open the throttle, and the revs will increase. If you pump the peddle a few times, it is non-responsive, the revs drop, and almost stalls out

I had this exact same problem after trying to rollstart once. I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds, reconnected it, started (using the starter) and never had the problem again. Don't know if that was a fluke incident though.

Otherwise, follow jdub's advice. jdub is wise. Listen to jdub. Obey jdub. Bow to jdub...

...oh...sorry, might be getting a little carried away there, but you get the idea ;)

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
OP told me that it would either sit at high rpms (steady), or drop to low rpms like it wants to die...

I personally need to see it to try to understand what he means

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Just got back from his house.

When starting the car with the TPS unplugged, it goes straight up to about 3000 rpms and sits there.

I took the car for a drive with the TPS plugged in, the throttle is unresponsive, and the car only moves when the throttle surges. Unplugged the TPS and drove around, the throttle was responsive, but would sit at about 3000 at idle. When depressing the brake (with car in gear), the RPMS would drop significantly. I got it down to the point where the car was barely moving forward, with RPMS down to about 1000. The brake was around 80% depressed.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Alright, this car is officially starting to frustrate me. Haha.

Installed a different TPS, still has the idle surging issue. Tried to calibrate as per TSRM instructions and spec, but to no avail. I tested the resistance of the sensor off of the car, at full close. The resistance was 5.56x k ohms, 3.06x k out of spec. Resistance was the same, at full close, when it was installed onto the throttle body.

I believe it could also be the ISCV. I've read on various other threads that it is supposed to make a "click" sound when the engine is shut off. I did not hear any click. I did, however, hear a "puff" sound, like an amount of air was trying to squeeze through a smaller orifice.

We are still getting codes 32 and 41. 32 is the high-altitude compensation sensor IIRC. Where would I find this, where would I test its resistance(s), and what value(s) am I looking for?

The car is an 87, originally non-turbo with a turbo engine swapped in.

The wiring harness, engine, and ecu, are all from an 87-88 car (as denoted by the yellow plugs on the harness and ecu, as well as the green plugs going to/from the CPS and ignitor).

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Kevin;1406194 said:
Maybe its another bad tps? lol. if all else fails.. just take it to a mechanic?

uh, yeah, already thought of that. looking for TECHNICAL advice (hence the subforum "technical discussion").

I want to exhaust all options before paying out the ass to have someone else look at it

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
try another tps.. since its out of spec.. or try calibrating it again.. maybe the second time around would do it. as for the iscv, try uplugginf it then starting.. see what happens. check the iscv as tsrm. but i really think its ur tps. with the tps off by a little it could cause surging idle.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
To me, it sounds like idle fuel cut. I think the engine is trying to rev too high when the TPS indicates the throttle plate is closed, so the computer cuts fuel in response.
I would do a couple things: First clean the throttle body and plate to make sure it's not being held open by carbon, then remove and completely clean the iscv (need to disassemble it to do this right), and then re-set up the TPS sensor.