I think the twins are dead

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
Went to the dyno for the first time yesterday. I did two runs and the car seemed to be running really solid. Numbers were a little lower than expected at 271hp and 275 ft-lbs, but its a Mustang dyno so I hear that's fairly conservative. A/F's were pretty steady between 11-11.5. Anyways, on the third pull it started breaking up really bad and then a big BANG accompanied by some black smoke. I let off and was done on the dyno for the day to investigate. Originally I thought I was just losing spark or something but when I drove away I couldn't make any boost, just a discomforting whirring noise. I checked my engine bay again and found the Tee on the inlet to my MBC was busted. I know this must have happened just on the last run since I was fiddling with it inbetween runs. I replaced the Tee today in hopes my problem was just a massive boost leak but definitely didn't solve my problem (I wasn't too optomistic). I think the Twins are toast. Could the broken Tee have contributed to the problem by unbalancing the load between the turbos (one side was still attached one side broke off)? Or maybe after 19yrs they had just had enough! I guess its time to start looking at single kits!
By the way, mods are:
3" turbo back exhaust (excluding y pipe)
Intake
MBC @ 15psi
Apexi Neo pulling about 17% fuel

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
That seems way too low. i just did my first dyno with the twins yesterday, and got 390 hp / 380 Tq @ 17 PSI, with similar mods.

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
That seems very high to me but everywhere I read people say to that mustang dynos read 10-20% lower than other dynos so that makes me feel a little better.