I think my HG went... reason being....

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
I think my headgasket went tonight. I can smell a faint sweet smell. THis happen when I was coming back from a 145 mile trip. On a normal 65-67 cruising speed, the car lost power. Pulling over to the side, the car dies. Starting was hard as I has to throttle the car to keep it alive. There is also alot of miss firing below 3k. Turbo is loud at 1.5k and up... as if its always spooling. You can hear it SPOOL at 1.5k holding throttle.

Besides all this problem, I can hear bubbles in the coolant system, indicating that air is getting in from an unknown location. I have then concluded that the 177,xxx original miles have taken its toll on the original HG.

It's time to get serious on the motor now.

MODs please move if in wrong area.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
First think I suspected was a vacuum or boost leak. But determining that my coolant problem wasn't solved, I figured its time for the OEM HG to be replaced. I'm sure I will be able to trace some leaks, but considering the age of vehicle, its that time. Wish me luck on a good OE build. I'm looking into the swaintech coating they offer too.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Another MkIII;1351988 said:
177K is good for an original HG.
-AM3
It is.. seeing that most guys on MHG and fresh rebuilt usually see 10k-30k until another HG job. I drive my supra grandma easy.