i think i'm ready to fire up the beast

1987mk3

Dec 23, 2008
mosinee
ok i have a 87 tubro 5speed supra that i've been building for the last 1.2 years(nothing big, just took my sweet time)right now i am at the time that i think i'm ready to start the motor but just wanted to ask if there was always something that everyone tends to forget before starting the car?

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
1987mk3;1325313 said:
ok i have a 87 tubro 5speed supra that i've been building for the last 1.2 years(nothing big, just took my sweet time)right now i am at the time that i think i'm ready to start the motor but just wanted to ask if there was always something that everyone tends to forget before starting the car?

Yes, unplug your coil packs, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE OIL!!!! lol and crank the engine untill you have maxed your oil pressure guage, make sure that your fuel is not leaking from the feed, and return line on the " J " pipe. make sure you have OIL, Power steering fluid, coolant, if all is ok.. connect your coil pack, and crank it up!!!! :love::love::love:

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Well.. I forgot that it takes about 3x's the amount of money to finish the engine as you think... that’s why its taken me almost 2years to get as far as I have gotten.

Remember that SUPRA translates to MONEY PIT in about 5 languages.

Good luck!

old skool

Apr 17, 2009
Milwaukee
did you re-pack your muffler bearings and change your exhaust belt? JK, good luck man, there's nothing like that first start-up!

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
you really don't have to pull the coils, just remove the EFI fuse and crank the car until you have oil pressure.
You will have no spark in any way. When you see oil pressure coming on your gauge, then before really starting the car recheck the oil. It may very well be that you need to add some oil because some oil is in the engine now.

Be sure to test the fuel system. the easiest way doing that is to jump FP and B+ on your diagnose plug under the hood. The pump will run and you can check for leaks before you started the car.

Have all fluids checked by you AND someone else. Just to make sure ;).
Also, keeping a timing light nearby is good practise.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
To put the least amount of load on your rod bearings, pull your spark plugs, and do like the rest say and crank untill you get a oil pressure reading. Since its to late now if your oil pump is brand new and dry, I fill mine with Lubriplate(White Assembly grease) pulls a vacum instantly. If you didn't no big deal.

Check your lights and levels...and break her in hard! But that last part is your call.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
+1 on turning it over with no plugs and the EFI fuse pulled. No plugs = no compression = no load on the bearings. Makes it easier on the starter to turn the motor over and get the oil flowing too. Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Make sure you check your oil again afterward like thevork said (best post in this thread).

Here's a thread on break-in:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48993