I struck oil in my sparkplug valley!

ShadowMKIII

Apr 20, 2009
Huntingdon, TN
So I decided to see what all the fuss about the 3rd cylinder head cover was all about. I had been having some issues with misfiring and decided why not go ahead and replace the cover with the $0.69 fiber oil plug gaskets from Napa (Get the Good Stuff!). I was sure I would find a little oil in there but not this much!!

3491471508_9fa41ae38c.jpg

I think I stumbled onto Iraq's oil reserves.. :icon_surp

3490657091_0665b7f437.jpg

After a failed attempt at trying to use shop towels to get this mess cleaned up I got my new shop vac out that rarely gets used... (warning blurry cell pic below!)

3491471548_1da4c6acf2.jpg

She looks alil better now...

I also did a compression check and it was as follows (These are the right numbers I just corrected them I found where I wrote them down)

1-165
2-160
3-155
4-157
5-160
6-170

I havent looked to see if this is in spec yet.

and surprisingly enough the sparkplug boots were so degraded they were falling apart. (sarcasm)

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
it's not usually the valve cover gaskets that leak into the plug valley, its the hex head plugs on top (level with 3rd cover) that leak into the plug valley

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
The problem is the bolts and worthless rubber bushings. Get rid of them and get some nice stainless or coat bolts with lock wachers and snug them down(BUT NOT TOO TIGHT OR YOU WILL BREAK THE VALVE COVERS!) I just did mine last week and no more leaking. Mine were only a year old from a complete fresh rebuild I did.

HTH,
Seth

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Seth, with the hex screws and lock washers, did you use the rubber "washers" that you were using before (as well as the lock washers), or discard those rubbers?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Those first pics look just like mine before I replaced all three valve cover gaskets.

The new OEM 3rd cover is still leaking a bit, but not like it was. The next time I change the plugs I'm gonna get the NAPA o-rings.

ShadowMKIII

Apr 20, 2009
Huntingdon, TN
mkiii222;1309015 said:
Those first pics look just like mine before I replaced all three valve cover gaskets.

The new OEM 3rd cover is still leaking a bit, but not like it was. The next time I change the plugs I'm gonna get the NAPA o-rings.

I hope they work. I really didnt want to spend $60 on a toyota cover when 4 $0.69 parts from napa will fix it. And now I can see down in the valley and know sooner if there is more oil oozing down in there... Now Im off to find some decent plug wires for a reasonable price. (im not cheap I just got so much to fix that I cant afford all the 1337 expesive crap now) <---prob regret that comment later on in the build... lol

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
I had the same problem. My spark plug valley was full of oil. I used shop rags, carb cleaner and compressed air to clean it out. My problem was was the valley cover. I took it out and put the four hex plugs/bolts back in whith aluminum crush washers and tightened the piss out of them. And usually before you put the valve cover back on it best to put rtv silicone where it seals in the front.