I need help with a GUN.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Ok, so here is the deal. Im 18, been around guns my whole life, and Im leaving to live on my own. Im moving to Ohio, to my own apartment. So my mom is a little worried about me and asked me if I think I should have a gun for an EMERGENCY. I told her I didnt really care, but now she is wanting me to get one. Ill be in Ohio alone, so she thinks me having a gun will give her peice of mind that Im 100% safe.

Anyways, Ive been looking up the gun laws there and it says you have to be 18 to own one. So Im good there. But I know there are only certain guns Im able to purchase. So could someone help me to find a few guns that I may take a look at and consider buying.

(Please dont come and start bitching about my age or something like that. I grew up with guns, I know they kill people if miss used, and all that stuff. My uncle is an ex marine and taught me how to handle a gun, just incase I found myself in a situation where it had to be used)(and yes I know using a gun is a last resort)....for some of you guys it may be a first though..lol jk.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
You are able to purchase/own a long gun (rifle or shotgun)...

As far as what kind that is up to you! I'd highly recomend a pump action shotgun that is simple to use...

Mossberg 835 ultramag
mossberg 500
Remington 870

these 3 shot guns are very common...very affordable...very reliable!

All these guns are 12 guage and ammo is cheap.

I recomend a shot gun as obviously they shoot "shot" and leave less margin for error...the rounds don't travel very far and individual shots don't harness much energy so passing threw multiple targets is not too concerning (think bullets traveling threw walls = bad news bears!)...

You can't own a handgun but rifles/shotguns are perfectly ok....you don't need a carry permit to keep the gun loaded and ready to rock in your home so that's not a concern...

Most shotguns hold 3 rounds off the shelf but if you unscrew the ammo tube cap and remove the wooden/plastic rod in the center, they will hold 5...most states only let you hunt with 3 rounds in a gun at a time so shotguns come with an ammo stopper that can be removed ;-)

for home defence I'd recomend a 16" barrel...I'd say even shorter but that's illegal in most states so 16" is as short as they usually get...

Don't get a shotgun with a "choke" as it defeats the short range concept.

Ammo.... Number 8 buckshot is the common defence round.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Ps....Those 3 shot guns can be had around $250-400 each...not very expensive!

The 870 has gobs of aftermarket support to put all sorts of mall ninja type crap on it if you like:)

subjug4tor

Man up, Nancy.
May 8, 2008
DFW, texas
A shotgun must have an 18" barrel, and be at least 26" overall to be legal. Technically shorter barrels are legal, but are a NFA item and need a separate tax stamp to own. Also don't think that the spread of the shot allows you to just point in the general direction and shoot, you still have to aim well. Also, I can't speak for Ohio laws, but federal law says that you must be 18 to purchase a long gun (rifle or shotgun) and 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFA dealer. A 18 year old can buy a handgun in a private sale and own it legally under federal law.

If you're on a budget, look at a mossberg maverick 88. Its an exact clone of the mossberg 500, and I picked one up brand new for $170. I've fed about 1000 shells through it so far, and had no problems.

Also, most people I've talked to use 00 buck for HD, but in an apartment wall penetration is a bigger risk, so stick with the smaller buckshot.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Looking at getting a mossberg 500 or rem 870 myself for home defense. I'm realizing my sig is more of a toy at the moment and a shotgun is a more realistic option for home defense.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Look up the gun laws in your state, they aren't all the same. The laws about 18" barrel and OAL are NFA (federal) rules, your state may have additional limits on freedom.

Pistol grip only shotguns are relatively uncomfortable to shoot, if you can "try before you buy". I would recommend at least a pistol grip with a stock.

If you're set on a shotgun, the Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 are the most common available. They also have tons of aftermarket parts so you can tacti-cool it up if you're into that.

Regardless of what you buy, make sure to practice and become profecient with it. The best gun in the world isn't going to save you if it takes you five minutes to load/get ready.

If your mom is going to pay the bill get a Benelli M4, haha.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
You can legally own a pistol or long gun at 18. A Federal Firearms Licensed dealer cannot sell you a pistol at 18, but it is perfectly legal to conduct a private party transaction to purchase the pistol at 18.

Being that you are talking about home defense, I, like those above me, suggest a shotgun. They are fairly easy to use, are adequately lethal, and you aren't likely to kill a neighbor on accident when you miss the perp and shoot through the wall instead.

That said, look at your house. Find some places you may like to keep the (loaded) weapon, then decide which of those places are practical for home defense. There may not be a good place to keep a loaded shotgun at all times. If this is true, then you may want to consider a handgun.
Make DAMN sure that, whatever you get, you are comfortable with it and that you have a comfortable place to keep it just-in-case. I say that because if you aren't comfortable with it, then you won't keep it handy, at which point it does you no good to have it.

My fiance's .357 is in her clothes drawer within easy reach in bed. My .45 is on my side or within 15 feet of me at all times, and is within reach when I am in bed. There is a .22 automatic concealed one of the couches. The common factor to all of these is that they are available if needed.