I need help car won't start and just keeps cranking, plus code 14

idowhatagain

Jul 21, 2006
Mission Viejo/San Diego, CA
Hey guys i need some help as the subject states... i have an 87 7mgte that my friend gave me and its not working. When it stopped working with my friend he was driving it and it suddenly just stopped, always wants to crank but doesn't start. He then gave it to me because he was done with it, i love the supra and i thought i could fix it, now he had a shop replace a few things and so far it didn't work. These include the ignitor box which had been rebuilt and two working ecu's and two working cps's supposedly. I then got the car and actually replaced the whole wiring harness out of my old supra that was working, tried three cps two that i had with my old supra and worked and one i grabbed from a junkyard. As well as my old ecu and another friends ecu. I changed all of those out because whenever i try and crank the car it pulls a code 14. So the only thing i haven't changed is the coil pack and the ignitor box that they rebuilt. So i'm asking anyone out there if they have anymore ideas or anything that can help me out PLEASE!>>!?!?!

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
I had code 14 and it turned out one of the plugs going into the igniter was not completely clipped in. I would replace the coil packs and igniter seeing as how they are the only things you havent replaced.

idowhatagain

Jul 21, 2006
yeah i just looked for the ground on the coil packs and actually it wasn't there so i made one and it still didn't turn on, so i checked for spark and it had spark, so technically speaking that would mean the ignitor box and the coil packs are working wouldn't it?

idowhatagain

Jul 21, 2006
Actually i have a theory but i need someone to help me legitimize it, i was looking at the valve covers and i pulled the plugs out and 5 and 6 were soaked in oil so my theory is that the oil is leaking in from the valve covers and stopping the car from starting, but its only in cylinders 5 and 6?! so what do you think?

idowhatagain

Jul 21, 2006
Supraboy89;1061127 said:
check your grounds on your ignitor box. also the wires that go to the cps and make sure there isnt any breaks in them

yeah the ground on the ignitor box was gone so i made a new one, and it still didn't start, and the wires on the cps are pretty good compared to how old it is. i jiggled them and stuff but it still wouldn't start, kept getting close but still no start.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Have you checked the EFI fuse? jump fp b+ in the diagnostic box to check the fuel pump is working.

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
idowhatagain;1061327 said:
yeah the ground on the ignitor box was gone so i made a new one, and it still didn't start, and the wires on the cps are pretty good compared to how old it is. i jiggled them and stuff but it still wouldn't start, kept getting close but still no start.

you said it is getting close. what do you me. like it is tryin to start. also make sure the cps is timed correctly

idowhatagain

Jul 21, 2006
Supraboy89;1061458 said:
you said it is getting close. what do you me. like it is tryin to start. also make sure the cps is timed correctly

like its cranking and then it his a little bit like its about to start when i play with the cps. i followed the tsrm and set the cps to the g2 pick up i believe at tdc.

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
idowhatagain;1061510 said:
like its cranking and then it his a little bit like its about to start when i play with the cps. i followed the tsrm and set the cps to the g2 pick up i believe at tdc.

the cps should look like this when timed correctly in the motor. other than that you might have a wiring issue between the cps and the ignitor box

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 24