I just want a quick reliable supra... to much to ask?

Waltz7m

Mar 20, 2013
Chicago
I currently have my car in a garage not running. Plan is to pull engine and send to machine shop. Knowing its wont be cheap, what can i do to build a reliable engine with a bit more pep than stock. Any tips on what i can do internal wise? Again, i just want a quick mk3. If 300+ hp is possible i will be happy. ..
Thanks for any advice.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You have to be very specific on what you want done at the shop. Unless the know 7MGTE's, they could overlook something.
Aside from simply starting with a clean motor, you want to insure that the head is torqued properly, and the coolant system is performing at least as good as new.
That, and always checking oil and coolant levels are you biggest insurance policies for longevity and reliability. It wouldn't take much to make a 300hp car.
Cheapest, easiest route(IMO), is 550cc injectors, Lexus AFM housing, Good intake, good exhaust. The End. Keep it simple, and focus on preventative maintenance with the 7M, and you'll be happy.

Waltz7m

Mar 20, 2013
Chicago
Would it be a good idea to port and polish the head? I figured since its turbo making it breath better would be beneficial?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
No. That is really only needed when you're pushing past big hp numbers. The labor vs. benefit is nearly pointless at ~300hp.
If you plan to have the head off, and expect to one day upgrade cams, springs, retainers, etc, then sure, why not.

Waltz7m

Mar 20, 2013
Chicago
I appreciate all the advice. This little project is to be started in a month and I'm trying to be as prepared as I can.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
throw the 7m in the garbage and just do a 2jzge-t swap on 7m electronics. my 200k+ 2jzge has been way more reliable and handled abuse without rodknocking or blowing a hg than any 7m ive had and i have one in my truck but i leave it at stock boost or 10psi if i want a little more power on stock turbo so it last since its my daily. i like the 7m don't get me wrong but the 2jz is just more reliable period. my 2jzge has 63mm and it makes decent power and i race it a lot during the season and its held up great. i started with a hx35 and that was an awesome turbo for 300 bucks. made 476whp on 104 and 20psi with amazing response but died off bad at higher rpm cause it was just way too much boost for the exhaust housing to flow. but at 400whp it was fine and didnt die off. and if it blows up i dont care at all cause i have an extra motor that i got for 150 bucks cause i convinced the local junkyard nobodys ever gonna buy the motor out of the old 200k+ gs300 they had sitting there forever :rofl:

the money spent rebuilding a 7m you could single turbo a 2jzge, do lex/550's, hit 400whp, and get a extra motor for a spare. i have my old 7m i built for my car sitting in my garage as a backup for my truck but i was just over it when it blew the headgasket after doing everything right but the studs got loose cause the head was annealed like almost all 7m out there. theres a way to fix it with inserts but imo it just a waste of money and time when gs300 and sc300 are plentiful at junkyards.

one other thing i recommend is make a ffim the stock manifold is more of a pita to work on than the 7m. i did it from the get go and been very pleased with how easy it is to change plugs check for boost leaks and just work on the thing. plus the cold side ic pipes don't heat soak like hell lol

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Most of the problems you'll encounter with a 7m are 99% owner problems, whether it's PO's or current.

I don't think you could swap in a 2j and turbo it for the cost of rebuilding the 7m and hitting 300 rwhp.