I have a Question

SuperAnt

May 31, 2008
Hawaii
Okay, so I bought my first supra she has 176,xxx runs pretty good except for the weird idling at 500-800 most of the time....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

here's my question they used a screw instead of a bolt and I could see some oil between (blue arrow) and I tested if it was screwed in tight because I heard its suppose to be torqued around 70lbs and it was kinda loose.....tightened it a little bit.... so what should I do? do I have to change the head gasket? O yah dis is my first car so I don't really know much about cars...:1zhelp:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

thanks in advance and here's a pic of my engine bay...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

SuperAnt

May 31, 2008
Hawaii
jetjock;1058530 said:
Check for codes with the idle problem. Look for a code 51. For the oil leak replace the valve cover gaskets and geez, don't even try tightening those screws to 70 pounds ;)

thanks for the fast reply, I already checked for codes and I got a 41 and a 51 read it has something to do with the the throttle position sensor checked it with a friend and it was good. so dont' know wat 2 do. Ok, going to change the valve cover gasket. Is that pretty hard to do? lolz...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Pretty early there ain't it?

You have much to learn but that's OK, we all have to start somewhere. For you that would be reading the TSRM until you're sick of it and browsing this site. I'd invest in some tools too, one of them being a decent multimeter. Course, you'll have to learn how to use it.

Your idle problem is caused by the TPS not turning the idle speed control system on. I don't know how you checked it but either it's not adjusted right or the wiring is bad. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting those codes. That you have both TPS codes is suspicious so you'll need to perform some tests to find out where the problem lies. I suggest reading the post about code 51 in the Electrical Section.

Changing the gaskets isn't hard but since I'm turbo one of the N/A guys will be better equipped to help you out there. When you do it replace those factory screws with 6 X 30 mm Allen cap or hex bolts and torque them to no more than 25 inch pounds. Also be sure you put some sealant on the areas of the head mentioned in the TSRM. If you use a silicone type sealant make sure it's "sensor safe". It'll say so on the package. You don't want to be messing up your O2 sensor...

SuperAnt

May 31, 2008
Hawaii
Yah its about 3:30 am here in Hawaii can't sleep.... thanx a lot man really help me out.... going to check that TPS again and read that tsrm... thanks brah!!!!

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Changing VC gaskets on the NA isnt too difficult. The 2 hardest parts of it to me are 1) the rear lower bolt to the upper planum and 2) the rear y-tube support. Seeing as your front y-tube support is already missing I would suspect the rear one is as well. (Amazing what the lazy guys will throw out.) Get you a set of plugs while you are in there. Never hurts to throw a freah set of NGKs into a motor.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
SuperAnt;1058528 said:
O yah dis is my first car so I don't really know much about cars...:1zhelp:

We noticed, but thanks for making sure. ;)

SuperAnt;1058528 said:
here's my question they used a screw instead of a bolt and I could see some oil between (blue arrow) and I tested if it was screwed in tight because I heard its suppose to be torqued around 70lbs and it was kinda loose.....tightened it a little bit.... so what should I do? do I have to change the head gasket?

There appears to be some confusion here which hasn't been addressed. You may have gathered this from the responses, but just to be sure, what you're point to is NOT the head gasket nor the head bolts.

As for the code 51, you will also get that code if you open the throttle while in the diagnostic mode. ;)

SuperAnt

May 31, 2008
Hawaii
ok, I'm gonna try change the vcg, change the screws to hex bolts, new spark plugs and wires, oil and oil filter since I haven't changed it yet since I got it.... hopefully nothing goes wrong.... lolz :naughty: thanks everybody...