I decided to put a 2J in my 87 hardtop. Info please.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So after finding my 89 with rust everywhere i was going to decide that i would just take out my 7M and throw it in the 87 Shell i have. but after looking at prices ive decided i should have enough money saved up to go ahead and do a 2J.

But i am unsure of everything ill need.

This is what i want to do

Shell (87 Hardtop) put a 2JZ-GTE using a R-154 from the a 7M (Because i have one extra)

So i was looking on some engine import sites and ebay. all the motors come complete with Wiring and ecu (Auto).

I know i would need a rear sump oil pan.

What would i need to make the 7M R-154 bolt to the 2JZ that currently has Auto on it.
Also whats the easiest way to do the ecu since its auto to make it work.

And i will need the ignitor and some other things right? can some please let me know a list of things to grab.

Parts I know ill need.
2jz Motor mounts Pre-87
Rear Sump
Ignitor
Intercooler that will work with FFIM
Down pipe

Parts im unsure about.
Radiator will it work?
Stock 7M-R154 Driveshaft will it be same measurements?

And one last thing ecu location will i need to do any lengthing to harness?
any adjustments to any wiring at all beside the bypassing for auto ecu?

I have the cash to start getting everything i just need a little help on what it is all i need lol thanks everyone in advance.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
S.A. supra;1716424 said:
What's your budget? Are you planning on keeping it stock?

i have about 4k right now to spend and for now i just want to get it in the car and running. and then upgrade it as i go. eveyr 2 weeks that pass i have more money but this is just what i have in the bank that i can spend on this tonight. So to speak...

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Radiator, and driveshaft will work with no problems. I am gonna also do a 2j swap, but I'm gonna cut a hole in the firewall. When you do this you don't have to extend the harness and it looks a lot cleaner. Do you have abs?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
yeah i do.

What do i need for the ignition and to mount r-154 i think the jz bell housing and flywheel? or would these come with auto tranny im so unsure when it comes to that. and the if its a auto ecu can we just bypass the neutral safety switch like doing a 5speed swap on a 7m

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Read the thread a couple questions about some things.

Is there anyone that still does this kind of work for the community?
-Wiring Harness - ~$490 Sent to Dr Tweak to mate the one from the 7M and the one from the 2J (+150 for priority service)(+200 because of missing/ broken plugs)

why would i need this or want this?
-Greddy BCC- $88 from titanmotorsports.com

All info came from this thread pretty informitive.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?66984-2JZGTE-MKIII-Swap-Info

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Are you plan on going single before you drop the 2JZ in there? Ive read that you will have to bang the firewall a bit to get the turbos to fit. Just a thought since it would be much easier and cleaner to go single while its out.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
2543arvin;1716452 said:
Are you plan on going single before you drop the 2JZ in there? Ive read that you will have to bang the firewall a bit to get the turbos to fit. Just a thought since it would be much easier and cleaner to go single while its out.

Havn't decided but yes i read that too.

Also i have a question you need to buy a JZ bell housing for the R-154
But what about the Flywheel does it have to be changed to a Manual R-154 ? Since the swap comes with a auto tranny.

suprayo

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
youll need a mk4 throttle cable. 1jz bell housing and flywheel. 89+ motor mounts. Also Id do all the minor stuff before you drop it in. front main seal rear main seal cam seals stuff like that. Im not sure if DR tweak is on here but I know hes on supraforums and yes he still does the wiring.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
4k for a 2jz swap is doable but im doing a jza70 swap and im already at 4k spent and i already had the flywheel/bell housing/rear sump. just saying it will be hard to stay under 4k if you want a 2jz. also arent some 2jz's hydro pump? you might want to convert to mechanical fan like im doing. thats more money

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
slowmedown;1716521 said:
4k for a 2jz swap is doable but im doing a jza70 swap and im already at 4k spent and i already had the flywheel/bell housing/rear sump. just saying it will be hard to stay under 4k if you want a 2jz. also arent some 2jz's hydro pump? you might want to convert to mechanical fan like im doing. thats more money

4k should do the trick. He gonna stay stock. If you have a Jza70 shouldn't it already be rear sump.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
S.A. supra;1716527 said:
4k should do the trick. He gonna stay stock. If you have a Jza70 shouldn't it already be rear sump.

yeah the swap came with it but i was just making the point that i already had that stuff and had spent 4k

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It can be done for 4k. I spent like 3k on my 1j. With the extra grand i could have done a 2j. Which was my plan but i got coilovers instead.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
2JZ-GTE VVTI ENGINE ($2000-$2400)
Comes with
TRANNY AUTOMATIC
WIRING HARNESS TO ECU
COMPUTER (ECU)
TWIN TURBOS
ALTERNATOR
AC COMPRESSOR
POWER STEERING
IGNITOR CHIP
INJECTORS,COILS ,FUEL RAIL,
INTAKE MANIFOLD ,
TURBO MANIFOLD

R154 Flywheel ($275-$350) for 11.5lb flywheel
R154 ARP Flywheel Bolts ($35)
R154 Bell housing ($350)
R154 Bell housing Bolts ($25)
Motor Mounts ($100)
Motor Brakets ($150)
Fuel pump ($130)
Water pump USDM setup.. ($150)
Pulley set ($60)
2JZ Throttle Cable ($70)
Rear sump oil pan kit Just in case i end up with front sump ($550)
Complete engine gasket set 2JZ GTE ($450)
Radiator hose kit ($65)

If you add that all together comes to $4810 and thats not including shipping.
But if you find a rear sump motor and dont get a complete gasket kit that will save you $1,000
But you still need the wiring done.

I have the Driveshaft and R154 already so i kinda lucked out on that part.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

With a 1jz swap do you still have to knock in the Firewall ? and get the wire harness from the 7M and 1J mated?

Last edited:

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
You can save money by buying a used rear sump. Ive seen them for $250-330. Get a camary throttle cable $7 at the junk yard. No need for a pulley kit or a light weight flywheel. EBay has brackets for $85. Try and find a 2j with no tranny that will save you a couple of hundred. Try to buy some things used to save money. But I would definitely buy the gasket set. Try buying the gasket set from elmhurst toyota on supraforums you cann save around $50 on the gasket set.

1j no beating of the fire wall and yes you still need to mate the harness. If you cut a hole in the fire wall you won't nedd to extend it. If you go 2j you will only have to beat it back a little.