I can't be maxing out the turbo aready, can I?

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
I have an 88 turbo with just a few basic mods including a large intercooler with 2.5 piping and 3 inch exhaust. Nothing else majorly different. But at WOT It builds 10psi then as rpms increase the boost decreases until it settles at ~7psi. Could it be possible that I've already maxed the turbo out? I wouldn't think so but nothing else makes sense. There are no leaks and the car runs great. What do our ct26 turbo max at?

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
Preload arm. I am currently tight on funds. I know it is not an official way. I was just using it to make the turbo spool faster. I really hasn't affected the pressure much. I plan on getting a boost controller later.

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
You can buy a cheap manual boost controller off ebay or make your own. I'm sure you can afford $20 dollars. If it does not hold boost with the boost controller then you may have a bad wastegate. If that is not the issue then you need to do a boost leak test.

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
It reaches 10psi then slowly goes down with rpm increase and if I put in fifth at 2500-3000 it will hold 10psi. If I had a boost leak wouldn't it leak out before 10psi? and the wastegate is internal and still very tight and strong.

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
Could it be possible that the 3 inch intercooler and 2.5 inch piping could cause a pressure drop on our tiny stock turbo?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Okay, the turbine on these turbos can't keep constant pressure above 5k rpms. The CFM the engine is consuming is greater than the turbine is able to keep up with thus causing pressure to fall off.

If you're not running any kind of boost controller at all, 10 PSI with full exhaust and IC piping is average. With an EBC, the pressure will come on a tad faster due to the solenoid helping keep the waste gate from creeping off the spring.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
IndigoMKII;1968862 said:
Okay, the turbine on these turbos can't keep constant pressure above 5k rpms. The CFM the engine is consuming is greater than the turbine is able to keep up with thus causing pressure to fall off.

If you're not running any kind of boost controller at all, 10 PSI with full exhaust and IC piping is average. With an EBC, the pressure will come on a tad faster due to the solenoid helping keep the waste gate from creeping off the spring.

^^^This, its all about controling it.

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
when i was on the stock ct26 i shimmed the wastegate with about 4 washers on each bolt and had a mbc. it would help it from dropping pressure, but it never made it stop.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
IRONMAN what downpipe are you running?
My OLD ct26 still managed 12psi but dropped a little nearing redline. Just before I replaced it, it would hit 11psi then drop rapidly to like 8-9psi.