I bought another supra. so much for selling mine

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
So i bought another supra that was damaged on the left rear. Its an '89 5spd turbo targa. I paid $1700 for the car that has a new cluth and HG job done recently with MHG and ARP's. Im using it to convert my '87 NA auto into a turbo 5spd. I can hardly wait, we'll be tearing it apart next week.

I have one question that I believe is retorical. I know that the 89 engine harness cant be used for the swap. However since I have the entire 89 car can't i just replace the body harness behind the dash on my 87 with the 89 harness and then use the 89 engine harness with the 89 engine? Everything will be plug and play, correct? or do i need to swap interior fuse panel aswell.

This.....

p542962_1.jpg

Goes into my '87

p542962_2.jpg

2 white supra's now. The one I just bought will be scrap or a free rolling chassis after i pick through it and part out the rest.

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Sounds like fun!

Since you do have the entire 89 car, you should be able to swap all the necessary harnesses over to your 87, I don't know how many, or what is incompatible with what, but it could be done.

The other option is to find an 87-88 harness and ECU and go that route, might be able to find one locally, if not online, probably won't cost that much.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
Jeff,

Wanna help with the swap.

Also, if I use the 87 harness and ecu with an 89 engine, will i loose the slight HP and TQ increase that was gained in the 89 model year. Was the HP in that model year gained by remapping the ECU

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
:werd:

The main difference you will notice is the engine will rev smother with the 7M crank in there and will will not be able to rev it quite as his as with a pre '89 supra.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
starscream5000 said:
:werd:

The main difference you will notice is the engine will rev smother with the 7M crank in there and will will not be able to rev it quite as his as with a pre '89 supra.

It's from an 89. 89's had the same crank as pre-89's.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
johnathan1 said:
Some of the pre-89 sensors have different plugs than the 89+ ones.

So you would have to splice connectors on, or swap the sensors over.

If Im using the 89 body and engine harness all from the parts car i should be fine. Shouldn't I?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Suprastic said:
Also, if I use the 87 harness and ecu with an 89 engine, will i loose the slight HP and TQ increase that was gained in the 89 model year. Was the HP in that model year gained by remapping the ECU

If you did lose the added power, I don't think you'd be able to notice it.
Wasn't it 2hp, and around 4ft. lbs.?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i want to see pics of the smashed car. pics of the whole thing, and of the dent. i want to see what's being sacraficed!! lol...

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
Figit090 said:
i want to see pics of the smashed car. pics of the whole thing, and of the dent. i want to see what's being sacraficed!! lol...

I'll snap some better pics this weekend. The car has an apex N1 exhaust and H&R springs, witha BIC DDP. I couldnt pass the deal. Body and interior are in good condition except for the drivers rear corner.