Hydrofan vs electric question

2jza70

Apr 21, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I am swapping a aristo 2jzgte into my ma70 and I had one question on it that I cannot seem to find the answer to. I am going to be using electric fans and I need to know if I can still use the water pump that it came with because the water pump is not going to be running a fan at all, they will be ran with switches. Seeing as how all that I've found says nothing about the differences in water pumps just in the hydro vs clutch FAN setup I don't see it being an issue but I just wanted to be sure.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
If you have the water pump that goes with the hydro fan, I am told that pulling the hydraulic fluid from the equation will cause the water pump to fail. Have been told that the hydraulic fluid acts as a lubricant for the pump.

Currently in process of swapping hyrdo fan for electrics on my 1JZ MKIII, and the new water pump is all shiny.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I guess I could play double post

Hydro fan/water pump is completely different from the mechanical fan/water pump You cant even leave the housings un-touched the whole thing haves to be changed out.
The pullys the mechanical fan nothing interchanges.

Your best bet is to get the beefier 100% waterpump housing with turbo pump. Now wether you go E or Mechanical fan is up to you just if you go E-fan pick the same CFM or higher then OEM mechanical or hydro which ever one.
pick the one with the lowest AMP draw on your alternator because if you use under drive pullys stop at a light after a hard pull the Efan comes on and you dont want it to kill your car electrical.

I use Efan switched on by standalone before the standalone I threaded a 10 amp safe thermal switch made by perma cool just for this fan the fan power fed off the oem CDS fan fuse went to the thermal switch streight to the Efan other end of motor was grounded so fan worked by pulling air like factory towards the engine.