Hub removal

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I am stripping down a set of Knuckles and as per TSRM I am " supposed " to use all these different SST's ( special service tools). Which isn't going to happen. :aigo:

What I am wondering is what DIY tools have you used? Knuckles are off the car,the dust cap is removed, and the locking 36mm nut is off.

Now I need to know how to get the hub out of the Knuckle,Get the bearing pack out of the Knuckle and what ever else need to be taken off. thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Slide hammer will remove the hub.

Bearing needs to be pressed out. There is a hub grappler kit from OTC, cornwell, matco, etc that works awesome except its like 600$

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Since the bearing needs to be pressed out anyway I just took mine down to my machine guy, $60 he took the hub apart and replaced the bearing, I had it at the same point you do, off car nut off etc

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Skeezix;1911876 said:
Since the bearing needs to be pressed out anyway I just took mine down to my machine guy, $60 he took the hub apart and replaced the bearing, I had it at the same point you do, off car nut off etc

I did the same thing a few years ago when I needed a front bearing replaced. Took the knuckle off and brought it to someone to have the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in. They spent maybe 10 minutes on it.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
You need a strong 2-jaw puller, a 3-jaw puller, and a press. Most of the SSTs in the manual are from the "Universal Puller" set. I had to grind a little on the fingers of a 2-jaw puller to get them to fit in the little cavities for pushing out the hub. The 3-jaw puller is for removing the inner race from the hub. The big Craftsman 2/3 jaw puller works (with a little grinding). Be sure to lube the threads. For pressing everything back together, the old inner races and large sockets work fine instead of the SSTs. Don't hammer it back together.