***hp increases***

gsx750r93

WARRIOR MANGO
Dec 1, 2006
seatac
SO im about to buy a mkIII supra turbo and plan on being in over my head..lol. I am looking to spend from 1000 to 2000 dollars on the car in performance upgrades. What kind of things shall i do and what kinda of hp increases should i see. I was looking to buy a aftermarket downpipe, and exhaust. I am also looking to get a BOV, and intercooler with custom piping. I was also curious on how if possible getting more boost out of the turbo. Was wondering how much power i can expect from boosting stock turbo.

Thanks much!!!!

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
gsx750r93 said:
SO im about to buy a mkIII supra turbo and plan on being in over my head..lol. I am looking to spend from 1000 to 2000 dollars on the car in performance upgrades.

Try doing maintenance first.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
if u have an intake K&N or apexi intake, 3in DP and 3 inch exhaust, boost controller and assuming turbo is still in good condition boost op to 12 psi.
you will see a big difference. you can see a good 50+ hp depending if engine is in good conditon.
if u get a BIC open DDP add like an extra 20+ hp

seriously i would spend 1000+ on maintence if u havent done so (HG, seals, gaskets, hoses, etc)
get a cometic MHG # 1 choice IMO, or a HKS beaded Mhg.
don't upgrade if u havent done ne of it....

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
I'm sure 95% of the people on here will say, spend the money on a tune up and make sure the car is in good mechanical shape before doing upgrades.

If your turbo is in good shape you should be able to easily hit 10-12psi with a good downpipe, exhaust and shim the wastegate (although not a popular mod, its cheap). Or one step above that is a manual boost controller, search around the internet, they are easy to find. You really don't need to waste your money on a BOV, unless yours is toast or you just want that loud noise under the hood. Unless your going to be pushing more boost, an upgraded BOV is a waste of money at this point.

Anyway, do the exhaust, get a decent intake system, even if its a K&N and up the boost and you'll probably see around 40-50 extra if the motor is in good shape.

But again, once you start to work the car harder, the weak parts will show themselves and you'll find yourself broke and walking real fast. GL.

gsx750r93

WARRIOR MANGO
Dec 1, 2006
seatac
Cool thanks...Yea thats what i thought about also, was doing the head bolts and gasket first then going do performance mods. So how hard is it to do head gaskets on these bad boys. Ive done them on vw's alot"16v"...Harder???Easier???

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
Its a very straight forward and easy job (just need time and tools), just inspect your surfaces carefully when its apart. I'm sure you already know that tolerance for defects on this motor is more stringent than an N/A would be.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
gsx750r93 said:
Cool thanks...Yea thats what i thought about also, was doing the head bolts and gasket first then going do performance mods. So how hard is it to do head gaskets on these bad boys. Ive done them on vw's alot"16v"...Harder???Easier???

if u have done one before than u shud be fine.
replace seals bearings etc etc.
than do the upgrades
good luck

gsx750r93

WARRIOR MANGO
Dec 1, 2006
seatac
Well like i said vw's. They are obvioulsy more straight forward then supra's..Bearings?? Anyway So i need to get the block and head resurfaced for MHG. Or just the head?? I never heard of doing that for a mhg. Well maybe its a supra thing.

AGAIN... Thanks much

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
To do a MHG you MUST machine the head and block (along with the rear timing plate) to the proper RA spec respective of the brand of the head gasket and the particular series of MHG. Do some research on the different brands and make your decision (HKS is obviously considered to be the best by most ppl on here for big HP and the best seal). Get ARP studs, the cost slightly more than bolts, but clamp to the head more evenly. I would see if you can find out the mechanical history of that engine to see if the head and block has been machined b4, that way you can decide on the right thickness for a MHG. For saftey reasons I would check the codes on the engine (search on this forum on how to check, there are many links on here on how to do it, you only need a paper clip ;)) and also check the bearings. If the engine has had a ::BHG:: then most likey the bearings could be bad on it.

tmhutch

Feb 18, 2006
Seattle, WA
Wow, so before running any serious boost I need to pull the engine from my car and dissassemble it, take it to the machine shop and have deck and head surfaces machined??? That sucks!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
tmhutch said:
Wow, so before running any serious boost I need to pull the engine from my car and dissassemble it, take it to the machine shop and have deck and head surfaces machined??? That sucks!

Not really but its a good idea, a good cleaning of your block with a putty scraper good machine on the head and an oem gasket will do you for a while. Dont get discourage by everyones preventative maintanence lectures, yes it is VERY IMPORTANT to have a solid platform before you do any performance mods but it can be done with minimal effort. Dont get discouraged it doesnt take a huge budget or allot of experience to make good power out of these cars.

gsx750r93 said:
SO im about to buy a mkIII supra turbo and plan on being in over my head..lol. I am looking to spend from 1000 to 2000 dollars on the car in performance upgrades. What kind of things shall i do and what kinda of hp increases should i see. I was looking to buy a aftermarket downpipe, and exhaust. I am also looking to get a BOV, and intercooler with custom piping. I was also curious on how if possible getting more boost out of the turbo. Was wondering how much power i can expect from boosting stock turbo.

Thanks much!!!!

these will help ALLOT

turbo upgrade
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3329&highlight=upgrade

upgrade stages
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17&highlight=upgrade
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16&highlight=upgrade

you could search for most of this but i'm nice like this and put it all in one post. Dont get scared of making power. Just get the obviouse maintenance done and have at it. You'll be making power in no time!

-Luis

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Chris is correct. To install a MHG, machine work to the head/block deck to a very smooth RA is required. There's more detail involved...Chris gave you the Cliff's Notes version. A properly installed MHG will allow you to run boost over 20 psi (w/ other supporting mods). IMO, if you pull the motor you might as well build the bottom end and head to make some serious power ;)

Yes, the correct way to install a MHG is specific to this engine...the factory finish on the head/block deck was not done with a MHG in mind. Take a read through SM and you will find "I installed a MHG and now I'm blowing white smoke" threads all over. Almost always, it's due to improper block/head prep or incorrect torque....some guys have got away with it...it's the minority of those that try.

Luis is also correct. You can use the OEM HG in combination with ARP hardware torqued to 75 ft/lbs and still up the boost. IMO, the limit is around 14 psi (if you want it to last), but some guys have pushed it to 20 psi. This route does not require machine work. Good power can be made, but not the big numbers.

The point here is, you must make sure the motor is in a condition that will allow you to start pushing it. Up the boost significantly on a stock HG that's been in the car since day one, and it's just a matter of time before it blows. You have to decide what your power goal is and make your plans from there. My power goal is ~450 HP....I built the motor to handle 700 HP. Get the idea? I want it to last ;)

Not a lecture...just making sure you understand what you're in for. There's a lot of ways to crack this nut.

tmhutch

Feb 18, 2006
Seattle, WA
What about using the Copper Spray a Gasket developed for head gaskets? I've used it successfully on standard deck surfaces to seal problematic head gaskets in N/A applications. It's designed to fill minor irregularities in the mating surfaces and seems like it would be a possible alternative to decking the block and head since it would easily fill the rough finish created by the OEM equipment.

Todd

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Yeah, to the parent, gotta tell ya maintenance is the way to go first.
My first thread on here was the same as yours, just got the car, whats the best stuff to do to it for cheap to make quick power. Nearly everyone told me to do maintenance first. Psh, why would I wanna waste the same amount of money having a mechanic thoroughly inspect the car for the same price as a full exhaust?

Now, 5 months into it, I just got the car returned from BHG land. And I thought it was completely trouble-free and ready to go. No. That was 2300 bucks. Fortunately, no mods yet, but it wasn't because I necessarily followed their advice (I just hadn't had time & resources to do anything).

So, I would seriously consider having EVERYTHING on the car checked out before you use money on upgrades that may be needed for repairs....