How to vent valve covers? 1jz

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Im wondering about venting my valve covers to the downpipe on my 1jz. Ive seen it done a few times, figured I'd as before hand tho just to get some suggestions. I would use a valve that only lets the vapors out, but not the exhaust gases in while retaining the intake pcv valve connected to the intake manifold. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Marcus

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Is this for a single? Wouldnt just routing it to the intake(pre turbo) be cheaper? The intake manifold usually does most of the work anyways.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Yes, I dont mind spending a few extra dollars if need be. Previous setup sucked the vapors into the turbo/IC piping collecting oil every were. Some people would use a catch can but Id rather vent it out the exhaust If I could.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
It is smokey and stanky, but works excellently!
Theres alot of MKIV guys doing it this way, I would only do it on a non or very seldomly streeted car

Search MKIV section on sf

Im just routing mine like stock, vented pre-turbo with no catch can

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The part you are looking for is an air injection check valve. Its just a part that was designed to flow the way you desire.
The problem is they are not designed to flow oil vapor (or liquid) so it may get coked up, and flow in an undesirable direction (they fail in stock form and usually only flow fresh air). Also smoke and bad smells will be normal (not to mention the additional deposits in the engine oil).

Do you plan on eliminating the PCV valve?

IMO this setup is good for only racing applications, in short bursts (ie drag racing). "POSITIVE crankcase ventilation" is needed in anything otherwise.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
mkiiichip;1701562 said:
Do you plan on eliminating the PCV valve?

IMO this setup is good for only racing applications, in short bursts (ie drag racing). "POSITIVE crankcase ventilation" is needed in anything otherwise.
Mine may be all messed up but here is how mine is. I deleted the check valve and installed a filter. I have a hose coming off of the passengers side valve cover going to a catch can and then a hose from the catch can to the intake tube feeding my turbo. I've been running it like this for about a year now with no ill effects..........that I know of.
I did away with the check valve because my car was smoking horribly. I removed the check valve, went down the road, no smoke. Put the check valve back in, I got smoke. I removed it permanently and put a small filter that you can get at Advance in the hole coming out of the driver side valve cover.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Your post is hard to follow, but I gather its just an open crank case, with a filter?
Yeah american cars did that in the 50's and 60's, but they had a way to direct the fumes under the car, other than just venting in the engine compartment...

Last edited:

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
PCV operation is important to the engine for oiling in what I have read along with fume and blowby removal. So a way of removing the fumes while not contaminating your intake and gumming up the valves is important. A catchcan or other means of doing this seems important to me.

I'm not sure how factual it is but I have even read a number of claims that having good strong vacuum has performance benefit and assists in ring seating and lubrication.

Having an open crankcase with no vacuum is not a good idea or how our motors were designed to operate even aside from the emissions reason for having a functional PCV setup.

70dreams

MR.I GET IT DONE
Jul 17, 2007
New York, New York, United States
whats up bro. what you are looking for is a crank case evacuation system . they are sold at summit racing for about 40 bucks Part nmber is SUM 120108 . This is a very old system used my american muscle cars especially dodge to maintain negative pressure to seal up the motor. The kit comes with all the nessecary hardware minus the lines - thats up to you . all this and more info is on summit's website .