how to tighten the pin in caliper

jasontish

Aug 15, 2009
tamaqua
how do u tighten the top pin on the caliper??? was driving the other day and heard a noise... turns out the caliper was hanging with the top part of the caliper off the brakes. so how to tighten it?????????????

jasontish

Aug 15, 2009
tamaqua
im mechanically inclined, im not that stupid. the top pin is ressesed into the calipper. not the bottom bolt. the top one that has a black cap on it. is there a special tool or what. with a socket cmon man!

jasontish

Aug 15, 2009
tamaqua
the pin or bolt is inside and u cant get a socket into the whole to get to the bolt. the caliper was hanging off ! meaning the top of the calipper was leaning down. i wouldnt be asking this question if it was simple as using a wrench

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Jason

Even if your not checking back, I feel compelled to reply.
Supramania your better than this, almost reminds me of another forum.

I just finished a total part out, even got the subframes. I did through the course of dismanteling come across the exact caliper bolt that Jason described. Was on the rear only, and, only on the right side.
Bottom bolt was normal, top bolt was oddly an outer stainless cap with rubber molded into the inside.

I did not remove it as the rears were severly rusted, incl the subframe. It went away on the rollback today along with a very empty shell. If not I would have gladly posted it up.

Jason if I were to repair, I would take a screwdriver and pry off that cap. As per the link below it is part number 47766c.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=4707&P=1

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
A better phrased question would have resulted in a better answer. He didnt even tell us it was a rear caliper, I assumed it was front, and I would wager viper did as well. He has access to the TSRM, just like the rest of us, he could have looked it up.
Had he said "I looked it up the rear caliper assy on TSRM and theres something in the way. (47766c), How do I get in there." so his issue is bolt 47721d, and guess what, you tighten it with a wrench or a ratchet. Your question was how to I tighten it, not how do i get to it. Fifteen fucking question marks didnt help either.

jasontish

Aug 15, 2009
tamaqua
once the black cap comes off 47766c the bolt is resessed meaning a wrench or socket or adjustable or any kinda of tool will not fit , the bolt is inside . and it is the front left calipper. like i said if it looked like the bottom bold 47721d i wouldnt be asking this question... i dont know how else to explain the bolt is inside. i would think u need a deep thin wall socket . but i figured id ask u guys quick so i know exsactly what to do and the first anwser i get is use a wrench. i might be dumb but i am not that much of an idiot. thanks for the help again

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
You should be able to get a thin wall socket in there. IF you cant, buy a cheap ass socket from autozone, and grind the outside down until it just barely fits. It wont split open because it will be pressing againste the edge of the hole its recessed in.

kunfusion

Feb 17, 2008
Indiana
If I'm thinking of the right part.... When I did my brakes I removed the bolt from the bottom, then slid the caliper off of the top pin and tightened it like normal.

jasontish

Aug 15, 2009
tamaqua
ok thanks cause the front left calipper was hanging down. which is weird. i didnt think it was right... from top to bottom. never saw something like this lol... ive done alot of brakes and never did them on a mk3. but thanks for the help i appreciate it

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
lewis15498;1447558 said:
Poodles that link you posted is for the front brakes, his issue is the rear brakes.

jasontish;1447418 said:
once the black cap comes off 47766c the bolt is resessed meaning a wrench or socket or adjustable or any kinda of tool will not fit , the bolt is inside . and it is the front left calipper. like i said if it looked like the bottom bold 47721d i wouldnt be asking this question... i dont know how else to explain the bolt is inside. i would think u need a deep thin wall socket . but i figured id ask u guys quick so i know exsactly what to do and the first anwser i get is use a wrench. i might be dumb but i am not that much of an idiot. thanks for the help again