how to tell if a MK3 has the origional radiator support?

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
hey there. How can I tell if a car has the original radiator support? What do the numbers mean on the support, I don't believe they match the vin but perhaps I am wrong. I do not think my current car does not have the original support.

Sorry for the silly question, I did search.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
mine does, but it's got rust on the drivers side... and you can tell it's been reshaped. but who ever did it, did a good job and the rust is a small spot where it looked like it was kinked. it's only surface rust at least

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I was referring to the top section. I usually see a letter followed by a few numbers, but the support on the car I have owned for 12 years has no such markings stamped on it. It was in a pretty substantial front end collision so I suspect that it is not the factory support.

I am looking to purchase a nice MK3 and I want to be sure that the radiator support is factory. I am hoping there is some correlation between the letter and number sequence on the upper radiator support and a vehicles VIN, but since my current car has no such markings I do not know how to verify.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^the factory service manual will have a page of chassis measurements, that will allow you to verify if your chassis is straight.

A skilled auto-body worker will be able to tell if a car has been on a rack. There will always be tell tale signs, of repairs.

I can't blame you for wanted to start straight.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Can confirm that the number stamped on mine has NO correlation to the VIN...

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
From what I've seen, and I've seen a few things, those numbers seem to be for some sort of internal system and correlate to nothing specific on the car at all.

I don't believe replacement upper rad supports have any numbers on them, so if you have no numbers it's probably been replaced, but if someone used a used one off of another car and replaced it properly, you'd not be able to know really. Still, check the spot welds if you really want to.

Jeff