How to remove a MKIII front axle hub??

bosco659

Toyota nut
Oct 11, 2005
Canada
I want to remove the front wheel axle hubs, to unbolt the brake dust shields so I can trim them properly for my big brake upgrade. The TSRM says I am supposed to remove the whole steering knuckle to disassemble the hub from the knuckle.

Question is - if I disconnect the tie rod end, rotate the knuckle around so I can remove the nut that holds the hub in the bearing asembly, will the axle hub slide right out or does it need to be pressed out? Input from anyone who has taken this apart themselves would be appreciated.

Thanks

Vic

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
The hub is pressed in. That's why the instructions show using a puller to push it out first (page FA-10). You may be able to push it out, if you can fit your puller in there, but you'll never get it back in without a press. Just take the knuckle off the car; it's not hard. Then, take the next few steps and put in a new bearing and seals. Get a new nut while you're at it.

You can change the bearing without the actual SSTs specified. I used some large sockets and the old races. You do need a press. It's really not hard; just follow the recipe step-by-step.

Asterix